The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
BMERDOC

Re: I Can't Keep A Secret!! Spy Photos!!

It'll be cut down to match the frame. It'll be the same proportions as a Blazer. Like Low Elco said "Trazer". I toyed with the notion of altering the wheelbase to be somewhere between a short bed and a Blazer but I didn't want the proportions to be off.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
brans72

So you must work for Crown only BMW dealer I know in your area. Cool build there!!!
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #28
BMERDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brans72 View Post
So you must work for Crown only BMW dealer I know in your area. Cool build there!!!
Yup. The ONLY BMW dealer in Richmond. Thanks for the compliment!
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #29
brans72

Also helps that I worked for Crown once in greensboro and the in durham,nc
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #30
BMERDOC

Thats cool. You're the first member of the "Crown Family" I've met here. Richmond BMW has been stuck with me since '96.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #31
c10Dream'n

It's always fun reading through members build threads, but I have yet subscribed to one from the beginning. Look forward on seeing your progress.
c10Dream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #32
Low Elco

The bigger question- welding the quarters on at the rear doorjamb? Leaving cab top and back on? Building a removable? If so, Cab top or full length? Engineering rockerboxes or tubing the bejeebers out if it? I miss my 71 2wd Blazer. Gawd, what a pile. But a ton of fun in the open air! This looks like fun. Welderman's gonna need AA from all the beer this little experiment's gonna cost you. It's great that your work's so hip, especially being a Bimmer store. Good luck!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #33
BMERDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10Dream'n View Post
It's always fun reading through members build threads, but I have yet subscribed to one from the beginning. Look forward on seeing your progress.
This one may go pretty slow! I'm still looking for a good candidate to cut up. Everyone is asking inflated prices for trucks in my area, right now. I'm looking for a cheap runner or at least one that is capable of running. I'm thinking this is gonna be a somewhat low budget build with the plans of upgrades after its driveable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
The bigger question- welding the quarters on at the rear doorjamb? Leaving cab top and back on? Building a removable? If so, Cab top or full length? Engineering rockerboxes or tubing the bejeebers out if it? I miss my 71 2wd Blazer. Gawd, what a pile. But a ton of fun in the open air! This looks like fun. Welderman's gonna need AA from all the beer this little experiment's gonna cost you. It's great that your work's so hip, especially being a Bimmer store. Good luck!
Current plans are to build a Blazer tub so the quarters will be stitched in just behind the jambs. I am in no way breaking any new ground so there are projects out there for me to reference. I thought about keeping the roof and shortening the bed or losing the roof, shortening the bed and pulling it up real tight to the back of the cab but I've seen pics of them and am not completely sold on the look. I like the open air concept so the roof gets the boot.

I've though about trying to find a basket case blazer roof to hack up and put back together. Of course the windshield frame will be laid back (full frame) So the lower roof line and changes to the upper windshield frame will dictate that. I think the header to windshield frame would be the hard part sooo...current plans call for it to be full time open air.

As for strengthing for torsional rigidity, I've been thinking about that too. Since the trailing arm crossmember is in the middle of the frame and the plates are welded in I'm thinking of upgrading the T/A crossmember to a Porterbuilt unit as well as using their other tubular crossmembers. They look to be much stronger than the stock stuff and will help to minimize movement. I'm thinking if I stiffen the chassis I won't have to worry so much about the body but thats a lot of open area to trust not to have a lot of flex. The research continues on that. If I have to add something I'll want it to be unobtrusive.

My Welder is pretty much done with his work. The rest of the work is up to me! If I need to do any fabrication that requires TIGing he is more than willing to help out. My workplace is very laid back. Guys do Side Work all the time and managment has no problem with it. I think making extra cash keeps people from asking for more money so they think its good for business. Several people have built budget racecars in the shop over the years but nothing like this. The only problem is storage. Your mess can't be in the way.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #34
Bomp

This is a build I've been looking for!!!!!
I've learned a lot on the "learn as you go" process. Don't regret it one bit.
Watchin'
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #35
BMERDOC

Bomp! Funny, I just finished reading your entire build! I'd like to applaud you for the work invested in your build. Great job on everything you've done so far! Like you, I wanted to get in over my head and figure it out.
Next, I have to disassemble the donor chassis I bought for it so I can make this thing a roller. It's gotta come home until I find a donor truck so I need the driveway space. I have a couple of leads on trucks that I may go check out.
Attached Images

Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #36
68 Four on the Floor

I like the idea of using a BMW as a workbench. Frame looks good. keep it up.
68 Four on the Floor is offline   Reply With Quote