The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #26
bigblock73
yeller

Re: 2'' drop from cutting stock springs?

Nice truck, dig the look!
Posted via Mobile Device
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #27
INSIDIOUS '86

Alright guys this is 67-72 truck forums. Not hottoddlers forum or yellowtrollit. Opinions here are respected and facts are given advise is said good or bad and the posters can make the decisions

My input. I have three inch lowering springs...they are garbage the front end floats and bounces and they are just to soft. Aftermarket springs are not designed for drop spindles in mind. They are to lower and make the ride comfy. Add drop spindles and they will drop your truck on the ground and your a arms or headers pay the price. I liked them before my drop spindles but now I'm going for cut springs from a one ton.
My buddy has his lowered with cut springs only. Three inches up front and it rides nice and steady. But a little stiff. So I would say go for handling or comfort your choice
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
Hertzdaddy

I have drop spindles and experience with both 1 and 1.5 coils cut on stock springs. I agree that stock springs are a little too soft once you start getting low like with drop spindles. The ride is great but I've dragged the headers once or twice at 1.5 coils cut. I'm thinking about getting some HD springs at the yard and cutting them down too. Either that or sectioning the headers and tucking them back up inside the frame rails.

Question for those that know: Doesn't spring rate decrease as coils are cut? I've never been clear on that.
Hertzdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertzdaddy View Post
I have drop spindles and experience with both 1 and 1.5 coils cut on stock springs. I agree that stock springs are a little too soft once you start getting low like with drop spindles. The ride is great but I've dragged the headers once or twice at 1.5 coils cut. I'm thinking about getting some HD springs at the yard and cutting them down too. Either that or sectioning the headers and tucking them back up inside the frame rails.

Question for those that know: Doesn't spring rate decrease as coils are cut? I've never been clear on that.
Yes, spring rate does increase but it's minimal vs. the amount of travel lost (the ones I tested were about 10% increase in rate @ 1 coil on a 350# g-body spring).

Cutting 1 coil is about the 'limit' for height vs. ride quality change. Once you cut more than 1 coil, the spring rate does not keep up w/the now shorter travel dimension so the ride quality can suffer (it's a grey area).

I always try cutting the existing coils if...
a) I felt the ride was decent
b) the vehicle was fairly square (one spring wasn't sagging more vs the other)
c) I don't 'need' to save the original springs

I have used aftermarket dropped coils on several applications where I needed a more agressive spring rate to compensate for the shorter travel range once dropped. Case in point, the above mentioned 350# spring was on a g-body Malibu. With 2" dropped spindles & 1-coil cut from the factory springs, the tires were constantly buzzing the tops of the front inner fenderwells. There just wasn't enough spring rate for the limited/decreased travel (<400#). I revised the set-up w/some 640# dropped coils & achieved the same ride height but rarely buzzed the fenderwells. The ride was comparable to a late model Z28 or Mustang.

For these 60-98 GM trucks, I typically will trim 1-coil before paying for a generic aftermarket 'lowering' spring.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote