The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
jmking9

Installing AAW kit-Alternator Question

I am in the process of installing my American Autowire classic update kit in a 1970 C-10. The directions say that the kit is made to work with an internally regulated alternator. I am assuming mine is externally regulated since there was a voltage regulator on the rad support. My question is, what yr/model alternator will work for this and bolt up like the original?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Installing AAW kit-Alternator Question

Your stock one is on the far left so any of the other three can be used depending on how they need to be wired in. The 12 SI is a very durable and reliable model but the CS styles are more modern and can put out more amperage.
I figure your harness will be setup for the SI style so it's probably plug and play. The CS requires a resistor in the exciter wire but it is very easy to convert.

Name:  GmAlternatorIdentification.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  26.5 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

It would be very wise to cal AAW. Their people are very knowledgable and great help. I used a 140 amp Powermaster because of all the extra power draws in my build (I think the stock alternator is like 70 or something). Anyway, I had to get a different pigtail to hook mine up, which was no big deal. Call AAW and they will give you some good advice which will be free and a huge help. Wait till Monday (when they are open) and go on to another section of your wiring for this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

PS... My Powermaster looks like the "SI" version above that VetteVet posted.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
jmking9

Thanks for the responses. It looks like the SI in the pic that VetteVet posted will plug in to the AAW kit with no problems. That one sould be fine since my truck is mostly stock and has no power add ons. Correct?
My next question is about the factory gauges. Its my understanding from what ive read that the original gauge is an ammeter and it wont work with this setup. Am I understanding that correctly? If so, what should I do for a gauge? I was hoping to keep my gauges all original since I paid a small fortune for the restored ones Im using.
Ive built this truck from the ground up, and Im finding out that my wiring knowledge is weak. So I appreciate the guidance.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
Thanks for the responses. It looks like the SI in the pic that VetteVet posted will plug in to the AAW kit with no problems. That one sould be fine since my truck is mostly stock and has no power add ons. Correct?
My next question is about the factory gauges. Its my understanding from what ive read that the original gauge is an ammeter and it wont work with this setup. Am I understanding that correctly? If so, what should I do for a gauge? I was hoping to keep my gauges all original since I paid a small fortune for the restored ones Im using.
Ive built this truck from the ground up, and Im finding out that my wiring knowledge is weak. So I appreciate the guidance.
Read my posts in this thread especially no.10 and you can see that the conversion is easy and the ammeter gauge will work if the fuses in the wires to it are good. The two diagrams in post 10 show these wires and fuses are in the circuits but not in the truck harness. If you decide to go with the SI alternator it will bolt right into your harness but get the later 12 SI shown below. It cools better and puts out more amps. I would rather see you get the newer style CS which will bolt in and can be wired in rather easily with the information in this thread.
.........http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567472

This is the 10 SI and 12 SI alternators The 12 SI was used in the 1980s Camaros.

Name:  DelcoAlternators.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  55.2 KB

Here's the adapter plug that you can use in your harness to go to the CS alternator and I think it might have the resistor in it already.

Name:  adapt.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  4.5 KB

If you have any trouble make a thread in the electrical section and we'll fix you up.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote