The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #26
Claytona08

Re: Sooo Confused

I checked the spring height prior to the install and they were the same. Maybe I can try and turn the springs.

http://youtu.be/JYoQJYTXKqI

1984 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 "Project Platinum C10"
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle "Project Car"
Claytona08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #27
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Swap the springs up front. Or turn one in the bucket
Posted via Mobile Device
There is a "spring pocket' where the end of the coil sits, it's designed to keep the spring from rotating. Possibly spring is not seated on high side.

problems with the rear springs can effect ride height also , as mentioned earlier.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

My 73 was a turd to get level. It ended being a combination of swapping rear springs and front coils.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #29
Claytona08

Hopefully I can work on it some during the week to try and level this thing out! I will post my findings once I figure it out!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #30
Claytona08

Ok Guys, I did a quick Google search about "Chevy Lean" and I read where several people corrected this by adding a "coil spring spacer" on the side that is leaning. Seems like a relatively cheap fix as the spacer only cost approx. 20$. What are your thoughts? I was able to adjust the coil and get it to where it was only 1/2" out so I am thinking I could add a 1/2" spacer.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #31
Rich84

I would be interested in exactly what spacer you are talking about..The guy at the front end shop told me that some people will use a piece of an old tire as a shim under the spring.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #32
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
I would be interested in exactly what spacer you are talking about..The guy at the front end shop told me that some people will use a piece of an old tire as a shim under the spring.
Right now I am viewing a Coil Spacer on the Summit website. They have 5 different ones available for our trucks. Anywhere from like .375" to 1"
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #33
izzy_Britton

my 82 had the chevy lean going on when before and after i lowered it with all belltech parts. I did the run around with springs and leafs and got everything checked out at a spring shop. after driving it for a while it bugged me to no end.

turned out my frame had a slight twist to it and a "diamond".

couple hundred bucks later the problem was gone.

now i am working on my 86 with a lowering kit soon to be installed and the one thing that it get before and after is a frame check. one of the local body shops has a frame rack that is 99% digital and shows a scan of the frame before any work needs to be done. they are getting my stripped down 67-72 blazer frame before i PB it.

I think most shops will charge a setup fee just to check the frame, usually it is usually one hours labor. And usually well worth it.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #34
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy_Britton View Post
my 82 had the chevy lean going on when before and after i lowered it with all belltech parts. I did the run around with springs and leafs and got everything checked out at a spring shop. after driving it for a while it bugged me to no end.

turned out my frame had a slight twist to it and a "diamond".

couple hundred bucks later the problem was gone.

now i am working on my 86 with a lowering kit soon to be installed and the one thing that it get before and after is a frame check. one of the local body shops has a frame rack that is 99% digital and shows a scan of the frame before any work needs to be done. they are getting my stripped down 67-72 blazer frame before i PB it.

I think most shops will charge a setup fee just to check the frame, usually it is usually one hours labor. And usually well worth it.

Can they check this with having the body and everything on the truck, or do you have to have it down to bare frame?
cmyc5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #35
izzy_Britton

yes they can do it as a complete drivable vehicle. they usually drive it on the rack, and then put it on blocks or sometimes they have a wheel adapter thing that bolts on in place of the wheels so they can ensure the truck is perfectly level. then they go along and measure all the points needed front to back, side to side and diagonal, and up and down to see where it is sitting funky at.

my last one took less than an hour to access and then another couple hours to tweek it. my main issue was that it had a diamond. as explained to me it is where the left frame rail is setting back slightly and not perfectly parallel with the right frame rail (left or right or vise versa). in doing so it changes the way the weight sets on the springs.

after the frame is straight they had me do a trust angle alignment (at alignment shop), I have no idea what this is but said it make the dog walk go away after fixing a diamond.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #36
Claytona08

How much does something like this cost?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #37
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy_Britton View Post
yes they can do it as a complete drivable vehicle. they usually drive it on the rack, and then put it on blocks or sometimes they have a wheel adapter thing that bolts on in place of the wheels so they can ensure the truck is perfectly level. then they go along and measure all the points needed front to back, side to side and diagonal, and up and down to see where it is sitting funky at.

my last one took less than an hour to access and then another couple hours to tweek it. my main issue was that it had a diamond. as explained to me it is where the left frame rail is setting back slightly and not perfectly parallel with the right frame rail (left or right or vise versa). in doing so it changes the way the weight sets on the springs.

after the frame is straight they had me do a trust angle alignment (at alignment shop), I have no idea what this is but said it make the dog walk go away after fixing a diamond.
Thats so helpful. I wonder what shop in my area would do this?!?!? May I ask how much it cost you to have it checked out?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #38
izzy_Britton

Where I live in Kalifornia, there is usually a set-up fee and then a labor rate if they locate a problem and you decide to fix it. an example of one of the body shops i deal with, the frame rack set-up fee is $120, this typically covers the inspection and measuring of the truck and all frame parts. then the labor rate of $85 per hour to fix any problems if it is determined that there are any.

I plan a $300-400 expense just to be safe. here they charge the $120 to set it up, if they locate a problem and i choose not to fix the problem until later, i have to pay that $120 set-up fee again when the time comes to fix it. so plan on a one time check and fix.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #39
cmyc5575

Ok thanks for the news man, Im getting ready to start tearing my truck down for the rebuild and want to do it right.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #40
Claytona08

When I put my truck in the shop to have it painted I will get this checked out. Thanks for your help.
Posted via Mobile Device