The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #26
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Re: JEGS Ebay Crate Motor Deal Heads-up

With an 86 here is what you are facing if I recall correctly, and take all of this with a grain of salt you should verify:

* I do not believe you get the full benefit of the 3yr/100k warranty putting it in a 1986. That level warranty only goes for the "direct fit" applications, ie cars and trucks that originally came with a 350 engine of the model years listed. I think if you stick it in anything else you get 12 months/12k miles, but I may be wrong on that (see warranty)

* The 1986 was the oddball year of engine. It has the top-end of the 85 down motors, but, it has the block/crank/flywheel with one piece rear main seal of the 1987-up engines.

I cannot guess at the smog laws where you are located, someone local to you may need to chime in on that or talk to someone at a testing shop would be my first guess... but if you are asking, can you buy the engine, rest it on the motor mounts and have everything bolt up from the wiring/fuel/transmission/mounts direction then the answer should be yes, BUT, you will need to replace the flywheel/etc due to the one piece rear main seal - your existing one is different.

Intake and carb? shouldn't be a problem and would bolt on.
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
Tuff 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 silverado View Post
With an 86 here is what you are facing if I recall correctly, and take all of this with a grain of salt you should verify:

* I do not believe you get the full benefit of the 3yr/100k warranty putting it in a 1986. That level warranty only goes for the "direct fit" applications, ie cars and trucks that originally came with a 350 engine of the model years listed. I think if you stick it in anything else you get 12 months/12k miles, but I may be wrong on that (see warranty)

* The 1986 was the oddball year of engine. It has the top-end of the 85 down motors, but, it has the block/crank/flywheel with one piece rear main seal of the 1987-up engines.

I cannot guess at the smog laws where you are located, someone local to you may need to chime in on that or talk to someone at a testing shop would be my first guess... but if you are asking, can you buy the engine, rest it on the motor mounts and have everything bolt up from the wiring/fuel/transmission/mounts direction then the answer should be yes, BUT, you will need to replace the flywheel/etc due to the one piece rear main seal - your existing one is different.

Intake and carb? shouldn't be a problem and would bolt on.

Thank you sir .. Your info is greatly appreciated
Old 02-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #28
tlawre87

Something important to note on the warranty. According the warranty doc it has to be installed "by a GM Dealer or qualified installing Independent Service Center (ISC)."

Technically by law your since engine is an 86 you have to install a model year 86 and above engine. (V8 or V6, doesn't matter. Just has to meet 1986 emissions)

http://www.jegs.com/customerservice/GM_Warranty.pdf
tlawre87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #29
KevinD85

just bought one for my 86 k10 at that price. was on the fence with doing a more powerful crate but this will give me what I need to replace the tired 305 and put some more money in the interior and rest of the truck.
2012 lexus is350 awd daily driver
KevinD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #30
Skunksmash

Made in Mexico!
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #31
flashed

My 290 HP crate motor in my 72 Malibu convertible was made in Mexico too and has over 40,000 trouble free miles on it .I wish it was made in USA but most things now days are not.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote