The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #1
darush01

Any tips?

I've got a bolt on my alternator bracket where it bolts to the motor thts broken nothing sticks out to weld to and I would rather not drill it and retap it but might have to. I was wondering if any of you knew of a way to get it out I'm afraid the added pressure will break the remaining bolt off
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
70LonghornCST

Re: Any tips?

Hi darush01,

I have had a similar event happen on a 250 block that I once had. I drilled it out and installed a Helicoil. It worked great. I'd like to wait and hear if anyone has a creative solution. There's a great deal of talented people on this board.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
darush01

I might have to look into that, I'm just hoping someone has figured out a way to avoid actually drilling into the block itself I don't mind drilling into the bolt , but I'm convinced its too tight for an easy out to work but I haven't tried it
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:11 AM   #4
hugger6933

Remove the bracket to get it out of the way and before any extreme measures are taken just try tapping it with a cape point chisel[best tool for this operation] or if you don't have one of those, a flat blade screw driver. With no load there and being that there was another bolt sharing the load it is possible the the bolt is not tight in the threads and you will be able to screw it out fairly easily. Jim
hugger6933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
GOPAPA

drill a hole in its center and then weld a new bolt down in that hole ,,after letting it sit awhile and cool,,take ice and wrap the areas from the as old bolt and use a hammer to tap while wrenching the bolt out that you have welded to the broken bolt,, take it esy tapping stedy with preasure applied ,,use a lubricant also in and around the threads
Old 02-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Any tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darush01 View Post
I've got a bolt on my alternator bracket where it bolts to the motor thts broken nothing sticks out to weld to and I would rather not drill it and retap it but might have to. I was wondering if any of you knew of a way to get it out I'm afraid the added pressure will break the remaining bolt off
Take a bolt the same size as the broken one, cut the end off to make it fit flush up to the broken one (when placed into the bracket-hole when bracket is bolted in place via its other bolts), put it in your drill press, center punch it, and drill thru its center and perpendicular to its length.

This bolt you drilled will give you a drill-guide so you will be able to drill into the center of the broken one. [As I see it, drilling into center of a broken bolt is the key to removing it with an easy-out. And it's easy to drill the center of the 'new' bolt while in a press, as well as drilling it 'square'.]

After drilling the broken one, heat it with acetylene, hammer the easy-out into the hole, and carefully back the broken bolt out. I've used this technique several times where a previous mechanic wrung off starter bolts--up inside the bell-housing bolt-holes--couldn't even see the bolts' ends, but the technique has NEVER failed me.

Good luck, and pass along the idea to others facing this scenario when (IF) it works for you.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #7
frank69

If it's not too tightuse a left-handed drill bit that's just a little smaller than the broken bolt. Don't forget to put your drill in reverse.
frank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
bigmac73

go buy yourself a (easy out) bolt extractor set, soak the piss out of it first and then drill a small hole to get the exctractor in and twist it out,
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
airdale94

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
After drilling the broken one, heat it with acetylene, hammer the easy-out into the hole, and carefully back the broken bolt out. I've used this technique several times... has NEVER failed me. Good luck, and pass along the idea to others facing this scenario when (IF) it works for you.
Sam
X2 Heat is the key with easy outs.

Also I have had good luck luck with blowing the broken bolt out with a cutting torch. I've found that the fact that the cast iron heats differently than steel makes this work well.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Hugh Mongus

Drill the center and use an easy out to back it out. You will want to reduce the mass of the bolt as much as safely possible without harming the threads in the hole. By drilling the center out as much as you can, it will allow the bolt to come out easier. I typically drill the bolt one size smaller than the bolt size. Example - 3/8 bolt I would drill it up to 5/16 to start. You will want to use an easy out that will bury itself at least 1/3 of its length into the hole you drill.

my .02 from past experience.
Hugh Mongus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
mrolds88

If youuse the easy out, get one thats straight, not the spiral ones. They have a tendency to tighten the bolt against the hole. Otherwise, I would remove anything that I needed to, weld a washer to the remains of the bolt, then weld a nut to the washer. Rub sum candle wax on anything as close to the threads as I could. Let cool and use an impact wrench SET ON VERY LOW SETTING. Just enough to make some noise, but not anywhere near its torque potential.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote