The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #26
gag1025

Re: Windshield Rubber

What we did find out is the windshield is easier to put in if you install the SS trim first, then the glass, put the rope around the inside grove, and run a bead of dishwashing soap around the inside and outside of the rubber. Then place the assembly at the opening applying pressure to the area where you are pulling the rope. It also takes a bit of pounding on the glass to get it to seat as well as using a plastic tool to keep it from curling. A window glass pump up suction tool also helps as well as three people. On the back window we put the rubber in then the glass and then the chrome trim using a lacing tool. My buddy has one that is designed differently than the ones you can buy which made it much easier. On his the end is turned down at a 90 degree angle and it pulls the trim instead of pushing it. Again using dishwashing soap to lubricate it all. I guess you could put the strip in first and then use the rope trick here as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #27
Get Down

I've seen plenty of that at car shows, beautiful truck but then you look at the corners and the rubber is bunched up! I purchased my from Classic Chevy truck parts and I must say it fits perfect it had a slight wrinkle in the corner if you can call it that, so I took a heat gun and slightly warmed it up it was gone! Installing my windshield was the easiest thing to do! I laid everything out on a table installed the glass first to stretch the rubber then I was able to slide the SS trim in! Put the string in taped it up until I placed it up against the truck at it took all of 15 minutes! And the corner's fit perfect I'll add a picture of that later today!

Get Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #28
gag1025

I would really like to see the photos of it installed. I also bought mine from Classic parts. I did find out that there are two sizes of rear window rubber. One is smaller than the other. The smaller one works much better than the larger one.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #29
gag1025

Get Down, I normally go down to Charlotte every spring but had another function to go to this year so I mossed it for the first time in years. When I lived in Concord I went twice a ear every year. Since I moved to the Greensboro area (Gibsonville) I only go in the spring. I am planning on taking my truck down next spring. Perhaps I will see you there. Remind me when next spring rolls around and I will give you my cell no. and we can meet up.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #30
VTX-Black

I just reinstalled a rear window in our 84 and used 3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound 8509

I liked that it seems to lubricate during installation but once dry stays so what flexible unlike urethane or silicone
VTX-Black is offline   Reply With Quote