The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Orion88

Can you hook Cruise Control up to Edelbrock 1407?

My 86 Silverado still has the computer controlled quadrajet on it. I know quadrajets are normally the best carb you can get once tuned properly, but the computer controlled models are less than ideal, and mine has been running pretty rich. I am rebuilding an edelbrock 1407 performperformer carburetor and I have a Weiand intake for it. Will I be able to hook up the cruise control unit to the aftermarket carburetor? If anyone has done this any information you have would be appreciated. The truck gets driven on the highway often and I like being able to use the C/C.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #2
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: Can you hook Cruise Control up to Edelbrock 1407?

Edelbrock makes adjustable cruise control carb accessories but, you need to measure the distance between your Q-jet and vacuum control linkage and make sure you restore that length after you swap carbs. You may need the Eddy kit or, you may be able to get away with drilling a new hole in your carb throttle lever. Then, you'll still need the proper cruise control stud and e-clip which Edelbrock also makes. I can peruse my Edelbrock catalog for the parts if you'd like....let me know.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #3
Orion88

Yeah I would appreciate that. Thanks. Any pictures anyone has would be nice as well.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:32 AM   #4
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Ask and ye shall receive-Edelbrock part #1484. Here's a pic from my catalog:
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2015, 01:38 AM   #5
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I'm a performance parts retailer as well as a harness fabricator but I don't keep a lot of the smaller stuff like that in stock-if you can't source it, I can order it for ya through my wholesaler in Kansas however, Summit or Jegs may have it in stock. I will be placing a stock order for some local builds so if you need anything, let me know!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Orion88

Awesome, thanks for the help. Summit has it in stock so I'll just order it through them but thank you.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
gmachinz
Account Suspended

No problem. Sometimes its hard finding the small parts like that on their sites because they're not big selling items so they don't list stuff they have on hand a lot. I keep a full inventory of performance catalogs for my own shop which I try to keep updated.....I've spent a lot of time just looking through all the stuff various vendors offer....youd be surprised what is actually out there!
Old 01-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
Orion88

Another thing I found was Edelbrock part #8063 - which is a throttle/cruise control/trans kickdown bracket, but it's only for 78 and earlier engines with TH350's, 200R4's, and 700R4's. Is there something else I need to keep my kickdown intact? I know the TH400 trannys have a different kickdown mechanism than the mentioned trannys, but I just wanted to make sure before I order something.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
gmachinz
Account Suspended

No, I don't think you need that bracket. Your factory bracket is actually a combination cruise control, throttle and kickdown all made into one bracket which bolts to the intake AND has a spot to route the power brake line through to the carb as well-that vacuum line you may need to re-route or make another like it.

But, if you are retaining your stock bracket, the Eddy cruise control kit will work with your OEM setup. This way you have two ways to adjust cruise level length-using the supplied kit and threading the cruise control end up or down. It may take a few trial/error drives to get it dialed in.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
Orion88

Awesome. Thank you again.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
No, I don't think you need that bracket. Your factory bracket is actually a combination cruise control, throttle and kickdown all made into one bracket which bolts to the intake AND has a spot to route the power brake line through to the carb as well-that vacuum line you may need to re-route or make another like it.

But, if you are retaining your stock bracket, the Eddy cruise control kit will work with your OEM setup. This way you have two ways to adjust cruise level length-using the supplied kit and threading the cruise control end up or down. It may take a few trial/error drives to get it dialed in.
Have any pics of this setup cause I'm actually connecting mine as we speak????
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote