The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #26
Senorx

Re: Rear Bumper Bracket Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rippen6 View Post
This weekend if the weather is nicer I can remove some more of the c channel and try and get you a measurement of the inside bracket from the end to the mounting hole.
Are your inner brackets bolted in two places? One bolt goes through the inner/outer brackets and through the frame. Do you have the inner brackets bolted to the frame way in the back too?
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #27
1rippen6

Not sure will have to take a closer look but if you look at the second picture in the first row of pictures it appears the bracket stops before the rear cross member. There has to be a member out there with a 71 that a lot cleaner blazer to take pictures LOL. The blazer is outside and we still have snow on the ground and today it was drizzling rain. Unless something happens again I will not be home until dark until the weekend but I will get you some pictures or answers ASAP
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #28
Senorx

I noticed that. Appreciate the pics. It's 80° in South Texas today. Actually have the AC running.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #29
1rippen6

If it were 80 here I would get the pictures a lot quicker. Just a suggestion why not snug the brackets to the bumper line it up with the hole on the outside bracket. Use jack stands or blocking to hold the bumper in place and the just use an awl or something to mark the hole for the inside bracket. Now after typing this I guess you still don't know if there is 2 bolts for the inside bracket but it would at least get your bumper on.
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #30
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rippen6 View Post
If it were 80 here I would get the pictures a lot quicker. Just a suggestion why not snug the brackets to the bumper line it up with the hole on the outside bracket. Use jack stands or blocking to hold the bumper in place and the just use an awl or something to mark the hole for the inside bracket. Now after typing this I guess you still don't know if there is 2 bolts for the inside bracket but it would at least get your bumper on.
Sounds like a plan. Thinking outside the box.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #31
Senorx

Finally found a picture of the OEM inner brackets. They look nothing like the aftermarket brackets. Apparently nobody makes an exact copy, but the 67-72 Truck brackets are close enough but need to modified to fit. By the look of this pic, the brackets bolt up side by side and not way in the back. Which is really weird because my K5 had left over OEM looking bolts still in place in the holes way in back of the frame by the rear leaf springs. I figured they had just been left there by the PO. No idea what they are for now.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #32
Senorx

Here is the same pic, but on my K5. Notice the second hole in the bracket, but no hole in the frame?? I guess this would be the modification.

Don't mind the rotting body bushing. I have all new Energy Suspension bushings ready to go.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #33
Senorx

Update:

Paul Sr. from GMCPaul chimed in with a suggestion on mounting the bumper. He suggested to mock up the brackets to the bumper and then install to the frame. It worked like a charm. Does the spacing look right on my bumper? I adjusted the bumper numerous times and this looks pretty darn close to even gap space between bumper and body.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #34
Senorx

Rescued this OEM bumper from the original owner. It sat in his garage for the past 40 years. They were on his 72 K5. He used them for the first two years of ownership and then he added the chrome sport bumpers. These went to storage and now live in Texas. Still had some old school decals. The bumpers came from the Wisconsin area, so that explains the Clark decal. I think I'll leave them on.
Attached Images