The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #26
mikentosh

Re: My new gauges arrived - Custom New Vintage USA

These gauges are very authentic looking. I actually just worked with Dakota Digital to get a set done that is similar, but Dakota has constraints around the backlighting that stop them from going full out on it. Here's the result of that:

mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #27
Super_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikentosh View Post
These gauges are very authentic looking. I actually just worked with Dakota Digital to get a set done that is similar, but Dakota has constraints around the backlighting that stop them from going full out on it.
I know what you mean. I just got off the phone with DD after asking if I could get their Black Background with White Lighting but only have major hash marks and not all the little intermediate hash marks... yup for $60 more and 6-8 weeks delay. The Silver Backgrounds all have major hash marks only...

So one has to wonder why a designer would remove the flexibility to get Major Hash marks only or Major and Minor without having to make it a custom order and two month delay. The art work is there already... just have an inventory of Black Backgrounds for crying out loud!!!

Their Black/White cluster would not be so bad if it had the 270° sweep like the NVU Direct Fit, but their sweep is so narrow it looks like an oncoming train in a tunnel. It must appeal to some people I guess; DD was pretty proud of their new White Light products at the SEMA convention introduction. Wonder how sales really are.

... sorry, images are the best I could cobb off their websites...
DD on the left with their small sweep angle and NVU on the right with 270° and hash marks on the outer ring. The far right is DD showing the Black and Silver and you can see the difference. Their website will give a better view. http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd782.htm

Now, if I could only get NVU to answer their phones... three days for a return call is pathetic.

Maybe I need to spend some time on the phone with Speedhut. Their gauges are only 1.1" deep and they have what I need. Time to take the calipers to my dash and look at a front mount retrofit....
Attached Images

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."

Last edited by Super_Dave; 05-13-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #28
Super_Dave

Talked with Ben at NVU and was assured that the ONLY component not included in the 73-87 Direct Fit clusters, is the high beam indicator light, which is not a deal breaker.

I am still going to investigate a Speedhut retrofit through the front of the Bezel and connect to the AAW Harness. I took my calipers to the shop and pulled some numbers from the Bezel... we'll see what I can draw up in CAD.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #29
mikentosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Dave View Post
Talked with Ben at NVU and was assured that the ONLY component not included in the 73-87 Direct Fit clusters, is the high beam indicator light, which is not a deal breaker..
I had them add "High Beam", Check Engine", and "Brake" lights to mine which was a small additional cost.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #30
Super_Dave

Quote:
I had them add "High Beam", Check Engine", and "Brake" lights to mine which was a small additional cost.
You had them add it to one of the two large gauges?

I assume you bought them direct from NVU rather than a dealer in order to customize them? It adds another $100+ but if you can get that level of customization it's probably worth buying direct.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #31
mikentosh

Quote:
You had them add it to one of the two large gauges?

I assume you bought them direct from NVU rather than a dealer in order to customize them? It adds another $100+ but if you can get that level of customization it's probably worth buying direct.
Yes, the additional lights are in the two large gauges. I will try to grab a picture this weekend of them lit up.

I think its best to work with NVU directly if you want anything besides what they offer through LMC. They have a very high level of customization available and their graphic designer spent a lot of time back and forth with me to nail down exactly what I wanted.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #32
Super_Dave

I just knocked out a rough draft in CAD using some dimensions from the Speedhut Website for their 4.375" Speedometer and dimensions I took from the Bezel in my 74 C20.

The attached PDF shows the Red Gauge dims overlaid onto the measurements I took from my Bezel. It was a challenge getting the Bezel dims inside the truck, but I think I was accurate enough to make a strong educated guess.

The key dim was the Dark Blue inner Bezel where there is roughly a .125" flat. As you can see in the attached CAD drawing, the outer trim ring of the gauge will easily rest inside the Bezel opening and against the flat, giving the Grey threaded ring something to tighten against when locking down the gauge.

From what I can determine so far, all that will need to be done is to grind away the .095" thick Silver Inner Trim Ring and slip the gauge in from the front.

I feel strongly enough about my assumptions, to contact Speedhut and ask if they will supply a set of gauges for me to prove the concept and then they will benefit in the form of selling 6 gauge kits that we can easily adapt to our own "direct fit." The nice thing is their gauges are all 1.03" deep and attach with threaded rings... way cool.

Other brands might work as well, depending on dims but I will see what Speedhut wants to do first. If Speedhut wants to play ball, I will start a new thread so mikentosh's doesn't get completely hijacked

It would be sweet if more than one vendors gauges had the same dims. We would have a great selection and could purchase them separately and mount them from the front.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 74 Bezel-Gauge Dimensions.pdf (18.2 KB, 104 views)

Old 06-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #33
SKT

Wow, this has to be one of the best looking C10 dashes ever!

SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #34
Super_Dave

I ordered, received, and returned my NVU Gauge Cluster. The reasons are posted in my build thread. In a nutshell, the QC, fit and a number of other issues were involved.

While waiting for the Post Office to open on a Monday, I took that weekend to test my thought that any gauges with the same dimensions, could be mounted from the front, eliminating the OEM Lens and flexible circuit membrane and keeping the back housing for turn signals and shift indicator.

I described what we did in the build thread. Suffice to say, it worked out exactly as I thought it would, so I ordered a full 6 gauge set from Speedhut. They should be here in a week or so. I am excited to finally get a quality gauge set and the AAW Harness installed so I can get the truck back on the road.

The three weeks to process the return to Summit was a bit much, but it all worked out and the money should be back in my account this week.

We didn't make any progress getting the truck ready for the Cruis'in Sherwood event this coming weekend, but plan on being one of the 350-500 cars there next year in final form!
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #35
midnight rambler

that looks real nice
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #36
mikentosh

Quote:
I ordered, received, and returned my NVU Gauge Cluster. The reasons are posted in my build thread. In a nutshell, the QC, fit and a number of other issues were involved.
Yeah I did a fair amount of dremel trimming on the mounting bracket to get it to fit decently, and getting the dash bezel in and out requires me to drop the column down now.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #37
Super_Dave

Quote:
Yeah I did a fair amount of dremel trimming on the mounting bracket to get it to fit decently, and getting the dash bezel in and out requires me to drop the column down now.
I guess for me, $900 should get you a gauge cluster designed to fit better and use the same quality parts competitors use. For instance, Speedhut uses a threaded lock ring on ALL their gauges, where NVU uses very poor quality injection molded compression parts on their large gauges, which need two nuts to lock it down. Even with a modicum amount of tightening, you start to see the injected molded tabs start to bend dramatically, which will become a weak point down the road.

Speedhut has great directions and their gauge clusters are designed to daisy-chain together, making disconnecting the cluster for any reason, much easier.

Once the Dash Bezel is filed down to accept the diameter of the gauges, it's a simple drop-in-from-the-front and tighten the locking rings. Their 1" depth should allow for remounting the OEM back housing using the same screws used when disassembled.

Another huge plus for Speedhut, is that their gauge bezels are all CNC machined and threaded, so you can change them out if you want a different look. NVU, and all the others I looked at, use the pressed on gauge bezels, so you have to live with what you get, replace the gauges or pay to have the vendor swap out bezels.

Using my front mounting concept, I don't get gauges that stick out past the front of the Dash Bezel like a lot of Jeep 4x4 dash mods. I wanted something that looked either OEM or was close to flush mount. Going through the front door accomplished that.

In the end, I was able to custom design my Speedhut gauges for a hair over $800, including 2 Day Express Shipping, and get all the advantages they offer. I will hold final judgment until after they arrive, at which time I will review them.