The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2016, 11:38 PM   #26
tsetsaf

Re: Air bags for a daily driver?

Always enjoy the resurrected posts... We now have 35k on a fully bagged stock ride height 3/4 ton. It is amazing comfort and control. Won a Good Guys autocross with it (shell cab on the bed and everything!).

We created our system using various parts and components. We have an auto level air management from Dakota Digital. We used 1/4" nylon ptf lines. Our biggest issues were related to cheap fittings. Buy the high end semi truck fittings and avoid my headaches.

If you use nylon also be very aware of heat and debris. All lines we wrapped with 1/4" inside diameter rubber fuel line. After 20k we suddenly had a leak in the driver front bag. Turned out the exhaust was heating the frame, the airline had started touching said frame and melted thru.

We are now 15k without incident. I do carry an extra airbag, airline, and fittings at all times.

Being stock height we do take the truck offroad and the ability to raise and lower the truck has been very useful (clearing rocks or sneaking under trees).
Old 06-20-2016, 06:05 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Not raggin' on bags, but it sucks when they fail. There are drawbacks to about anything. Coming back from a truck show this weekend we followed a charter bus with a serious list I am sure was due to some sort of failure to the system on the right rear. That would suck if it happened out on the road far from home, especially on a truck set up to sit ultra low. If I run bags on the rear of my '67 I think I'll be pacing spare parts. I've always been fine with the ride and look of a 4/6 spring/spindle drop. But I think I may do bags in place of coil set-up so I can tow and haul w/o concerns of bottoming out.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #28
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

I daily drove my 2003 2500hd on airbags from 2009 to 2014 when I sold it. I routed my airlines very carefully and made sure nothing rubbed or touched the bags. Dont even let exhaust gases hit the airline or bag. Its enough heat to blister it. The thing that makes it ultra drivable to me is proper planning. I had an engine driven compressor with 2 electric ViAir backups. The engine driven is super fast, never had to wait for air. I had check valves at the compressors, going into the tank, and going into the RideTech BigRed valve block. The only failure that would take the truck down was a blown bag, which only happens due to improper installation, lack of maintenance, or cheap parts. I ran firestone or slam bags. No offbrand garbage. And you can plug a bag like a tire in an emergency.

1967 Chevy LWB- 454 and patina
1971 Blazer - Rusty
1968 Crewcab project
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote