The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #26
cadillac_al

Re: In third by 30

With the kick down cable disconnected you will have to downshift it by hand and most likely upshift by hand if you are racing. There is no reason to not use the kick down cable. If it doesn't work for whatever reason, a new cable isn't that much money. When you disconnected it, did you try puling on the wire thing it was connected to? That should move smoothly and is spring loaded.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #27
chrismoore701

I only removed the cable to see if that was the problem. It does stick. But I am still in 3rd by 30 when I stomp on it. So I am going to pull governer out tomorrow and clean it and check the cable at the Trans to see. Will let you know. If the cable is bad I will replace it
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #28
cadillac_al

Sounds normal to me. My truck is in 3rd by 30 too. If I stomp on it, it shifts right down to first. If you stomp it from a stop it will hold 1st until 40-45 or so thanks partially to the kick down cable.

It's been forever since I had a cable disconnected so I can't remember how they shift without it.
77 Chevy K10
Old 07-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #29
SkinnyG

The detent valve should increase line pressure as the throttle opens, so at full throttle, you will have full line pressure. I think.

If it is not there, or not operating smoothly, or not properly adjusted, you may have early shifts (the transmission thinks there is less throttle than there is), or you may never get a down shift.

I installed a TransGo shift kit according to the instructions, but the fancy new detent retaining clip prevented the detent from doing full WOT, and the transmission shifted early and never kicked down. I went back in and re-positioned the clip and all was well.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #30
chrismoore701

Alright guys. I pulled and replaced the shifter seal. Pulled the governer out. It was clean and free moving and the teeth were still in tact. I checked the kickdown cable at the Trans and damn did I take a bath in Trans fluid. I was told to have the engine tilted to the passenger side when I replace the seal. You would think I would tilt it to the driver side when I did the kickdown. Lesson learned. Anyways. It worked good at the Trans. Soaked the cable with wd40. And it worked better. Waiting to take it on a test drive. Will see
Old 07-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #31
chrismoore701

Test drive fail. It still shifts into third by 30, smoked the tires for a little bit bit right into 2nd. The kick down cable does not seem to work. But I guess if I want to kick it in the #ss, I will have to down shift. Don't think I want to pay to have the trans over hauled at this point. Thoughts? Could the issues be internal?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #32
cadillac_al

That's a bummer. That detent valve is usually trouble free and the cable is a low tech part. Is the cable operating smoothly now? Is it adjusted, not too loose? If it isn't kicking down then something is wrong with it and it is definitely going to take away from the enjoyment of driving it.
77 Chevy K10
Old 07-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #33
GRADYS Performance

You can adjust your shift point up and down with the TCI 326500 Governor kit. You need to focus on one thing at a time.

Is trans in proper mechanical condition. If yes proceed.

Is vacuum modulator and line in working order, No vacuum leaks. If yes proceed.

Is kickdown cable functioning and adjusted properly. If yes proceed.

Is governor functioning properly. If yes proceed.

Tire spin is a horsepower vs traction. Not part of transmission adjustments.

If you have done ALL the above. Then put a line pressure gauge on to check pressures while driving. Compare to chart at TCIAUTO.COM technical resources for TH350 automatic shift.

Once you have verified ALL the above if you want to change your shift points you will have to change the governor weights and springs. You now know how it goes in and out so adjusting it is easy to do from that point.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote