The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #26
Shady Rascal

Re: Do you replace or reuse rusty hardware?

The problem with dipping them clean like that is that you're not restoring the corrosion resistant coating. You have to be sure and follow up with some other product to prevent quick re-rusting.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #27
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Absolutely I reuse old hardware. In addition to the zinc you can re-plate bolts etc with the OEM black phosphate inexpensively. I just take in a box of greasy parts and they return literally looking brand new: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=114
Say Deadhead, isn't zinc a form of OEM black phosphate? I think I may have struck out in Reno. Haven't even verified a phoshate service period, though Burbank Plating does zinc (not phosphate) or cadmium. Both are black. The zinc has a sheen, the cadmium is dull and more durable. $200 minimum.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #28
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Say Deadhead, isn't zinc a form of OEM black phosphate? I think I may have struck out in Reno. Haven't even verified a phoshate service period, though Burbank Plating does zinc (not phosphate) or cadmium. Both are black. The zinc has a sheen, the cadmium is dull and more durable. $200 minimum.
I believe you can get black zinc as well as black phosphate, and then there is Parkerizing. The last batch of black stuff (linked above) was Parkerized by a company that did a lot of gun barrel work in MT. Try calling Kehr plating here in ABQ http://www.kaehr.com/ to discuss the differences and cost. They do good work (did my clear zinc pieces). I don't want to tell you something that is incorrect.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #29
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thank you for the info. Noted and I'll call for certain.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #30
davepl

Are http://www.kaehr.com/ the guys that did that box of parts for under $50?

I do my own tumble-clean-buff-zincplate passes at home with an Eastwood plating kit, but if I could have done them in bulk, I would have!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #31
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Rascal View Post
I have them replated. At a dollar per pound, you can do every fastener on the entire truck for less than a 50 dollar bill. It is really nice for little springs and brackets and clips.

Must be nice to live in an area where you can get this done. Here in NJ most of the plating shops have gone out of business because of the environmental laws.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #32
cleszkie

Its my understanding that the plating shops located in states along the border have the work done in Mexico where environmental concerns are non-existent, and labor is cheap. Same goes for the paint shops.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #33
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

The minimum charge at Kehr exceeds $50 but other operations may have lower minimums. Kehr is a decent sized outfit and does the work locally here in new not old Mexico. There's at least one other local outfit here as well.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #34
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
The problem with dipping them clean like that is that you're not restoring the corrosion resistant coating. You have to be sure and follow up with some other product to prevent quick re-rusting.
Who are you addressing?

What I have been doing may or may not be the best, I'm still new at this. I don't think any of my bolts have really rusted, it was the parts they were holding together that rusted. Anyway, I spray all bolts, nuts, washers with NAPA Rust Treatment (Permatex). I have no real experience with how it performs as a rust preventer, but I did leave some fasteners outside once after spraying and they were rained on over night. No rust the next day.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #35
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
The minimum charge at Kehr exceeds $50 but other operations may have lower minimums. Kehr is a decent sized outfit and does the work locally here in new not old Mexico. There's at least one other local outfit here as well.
$50 is nothing. I read zinc plating might be best, but it does add thickness. Not sure if that would be a problem at this point, say for small screws and nuts. http://www.finishing.com/409/43.shtml

Concerning stripped parts rusting out, I'd say that depends on environment. I began stripping parts and even the frame 10 months ago. There's no visual rust. My bed has been stripped for 5 years. It's never seen water. Unless you can convince me metal can rust from the inside out, at worst it needs a little sanding. Like the OP, I'm no expert.

At best I wipe parts down with oil, then store em away. I'll hit them again before refinish of course. Probably a good idea to soak the parts in vinegar beforehand, but if I have the small parts plated, then I don't have to do anything.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-11-2016 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #36
Eddie H.

Quote:
I have them replated. At a dollar per pound, you can do every fastener on the entire truck for less than a 50 dollar bill. It is really nice for little springs and brackets and clips.

If you don't mind me asking, what company do you use for the plating?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #37
Shady Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what company do you use for the plating?
Arrow Plating. One block south of Berry street, west of I35. Take Berry exit off of 35 and go west. There is a RaceTrac there on the corner. Head west on Berry and turn left just before the road heads up over the big bridge over the tracks.

http://www.arrowplating.com/

Last edited by Shady Rascal; 05-11-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #38
Eddie H.

Thanks, I will check them out.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #39
Harrison.

Shoot, for a dollar per pound I wonder if I could ship them stuff?? There's nowhere around here that would touch that price (or even plate small stuff..)
Harrison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #40
sprint_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
Shoot, for a dollar per pound I wonder if I could ship them stuff?? There's nowhere around here that would touch that price (or even plate small stuff..)
I was thinking the same thing, Ive got all of my stuff disassembled and bagged, maybe its time to send it to a place like this.

If I contact them and get an answer Ill be sure to post up what they say about shipping stuff in.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #41
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
It's called clear zinc. They also have black and yellow if you prefer. Pretty much any moderate sized urban area will have a plating shop. I found mind through a quick google search and haven't ever bought much new hardware since then. My shop has a 25 dollar minimum charge for the first 25 pounds plus one dollar per pound over 25. You can plate a lot of hardware and widgets for 25 pounds. Four day turn around time.
Calling one tomorrow. I have found out my Permatexing doesn't stop flash rust on at least some of the stuff I have sprayed it on.

I wish I had found out sooner but this is a learning process on my truck.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #42
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I clean ALL of my parts and fasteners then sort out the unusable ones. It works like a charm and cleans a lot of stuff at one time...

LockDoc
Hi LocDoc do you use anything in your mixer with the fasteners? Or is it a secret recipe?
HO455
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #43
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Clean and reuse specialty hardware ,all other hardware upgraded to grade 8 , it's not worth the time to clean old nuts and bolts
I do the exact same thing.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 PM   #44
In The Ten Ring

I called a local (well, 3 hours away) plating shop and they can do everything for about $130.00. Dang, we need some illegal labor!

I am thinking about it. My biggest fear is I won't remember what bolt goes where. Maybe I can sort it all out into different types and keep pics, we'll see.

The plating guy suggested a cadmium-gold plate.

Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:11 PM   #45
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Grab a dry erase board and a digital camera and take pics like I'm doing: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708547 (scroll down).

In the last month I've had two big batches of clear zinc done. The washer fluid nozzles look absolutely brand new.

Cadmium what was cadmium lest that hardware look funky.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #46
Dustmaker65

Anyone have pics of what the different coatings look like?
Old 10-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #47
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Clean and reuse specialty hardware ,all other hardware upgraded to grade 8 , it's not worth the time to clean old nuts and bolts
I have done it. It can be very time consuming. Specialty stuff has to be redone from time to time.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #48
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustmaker65 View Post
Anyone have pics of what the different coatings look like?
See post #s 10, 16, and 18 above...

Old 10-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #49
custom10nut

Take things off and put in labeled jars of vinegar. Leave it overnight or even a couple days. Any oxidation will wipe off.
Take the parts out and rinse them off, then figure out if they're reusable.
If not, make a note and look for it the next time out hunting.
The usable stuff can be refinished by sticking the bolts on cardboard, put nuts hanger wire (spaced out), and hang the other parts on hagers with thin wire.
Two or three light coats of paint work a lot better than one thick coat.
This method isn't as easy as ordering everything new, but the factory parts quality is much better than the shiney new repop stuff.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote