The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 AM   #26
Squink1

Re: 67 longbox stepside

Thanks guys for the positive comments. I decided it would be a shame to chop this one up. Going to leave it a long stepper. I have got to get it tore down and blasted to see what i am dealing with. Has some definite upper rocker issues and around the cowl vents and outside on the firewall directly behind the hood hinges. My questions are what do most of you do to fix the kick panel vents rust? And also the outer cowl area? I am assuming that debris went down the cowl and stuck in that area and rusted from the inside of the firewall? Any replacement panels out there for this? I picked up a couple doors and a fender to have around from a guy in my area. He has a couple slant hoods with original faded paint that i can have for $40 a piece if i want also. I would have took them then but i did'nt have room. My question on that is, would it be better to do some work to my oem stuff or just buy aftermarket to save time? I would think the oem metal would be stronger and fit better? Have helped a buddy who owned a shop back in the 90's and most of the aftermarket crap back then left gaps big enough to throw a cat through. Any thoughts? Last one, in the pics you will see a pass side spare tire mount. Is this factory? Why no drivers side wheel cutout?
Squink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #27
Squink1

Thanks guys, it looks better than it is right now. Looks to be a few different colors over what appears to be an orange color. You think it was a municipal truck? Glove box door is not for the truck, so i can't tell options. Any other way to tell from VIN#?
Old 02-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #28
'68OrangeSunshine

Nice truck. I haven't run across too many longbed stepsides in the 44 years I've been running my orange '68 stepside [shortbed].
I have always held that it's Your Truck, and if you want to cut it down to a rail/gasser/Good Humor wagon, that's your right. But I applaud your choice not to cut down a longbed stepside into a shortbed fleetside [just so it looks like everybody elses' trucks].
There was a thread a couple of weeks back about a CL '68 longbed stepside with a 292 L6, SM465, OD unit, Offy intake and Holley 390 cfm 4 bbl, but stock exhaust manifold. Seller wanted about $12,5K for it. The listing has since been pulled.
If that's a spare tire carrier in the passenger side stepwell, it's probably aftermarket. Most spares were carried under the frame at the rear behind the differential. Some 4x4s had a high mount cut into the driver side rear fender, and different radius cuts for shortbed and longbed.
Upside down, I thought that was a mount for a water cooler for roadside work gangs, or section hands if a RR truck. I have jerrycan racks in the stepwells of my shortbed. Fit perfectly.
If you like the Ford side rearview mirrors, keep them. Since I decided to keep the PO's 73-87 side mirrors on my '71 Jimmy, I can't be the period-correct-nazi guy.
If you wanted to make the grille have a perfect '67-style period correct look, you could paint the trim rings around the air slots White like the headlight bezels. '68s had a full 'whiteface' treatment with chrome headlight bezels, chrome 'eyebrows' on the leading edges of the fenders and chrome 'icing' on the leading edge of the hood.
If it was my truck, I'd restore it to the factory 516 Orange, but I'm partial.

Since your SPID was lost with the OEM glovebox door, you might get lucky and find the Build Sheet under the seat, if original, or inside the passenger door cavity.
Good luck and have fun.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #29
Squink1

Thanks for the info. It looks like the bracket belongs there for some reason. Possibly for something other than a spare tire like you said, could be correct? Has anyone else seen this type of bracket before? I will probably remove it and weld up the mounting holes for a cleaner look, but i am still curious. As for the mirrors, i don't like them . Will most likely go with a small round type.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:13 AM   #30
'68OrangeSunshine

Most likely a 5 gallon corrugated water jug with the spigot on the bottom.
Nowadays replaced by the orange/white plastic jugs.
I remember some old linemen telling me they used to put a six pack of beer on the bottom, followed by a styrofoam disc [for camoflauge] then a 10 lb block of ice and filled with water. When the day was over, they'd fish out the beers before heading back to the shop.
Personally I prefer the West Coast Junior type rearview mirrors. Big ugly elephant ears, but no one can sneak up on you from behind, and a clear view 5 miles back.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 02-27-2017 at 05:33 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #31
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink1 View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on this site. I have had this truck for almost 3 yrs with the hopes of restoring it with my son. He just turned 16 and I really want to do this before he is gone on his own. He loves the shop and getting greasy. ( getting kind of rare in kids these days) . I restored a Camaro 20 years ago before kids, had to sell for diapers and a minivan. Many of you can relate to this. My questions are is a long stepper a desirable truck ? My son and I both want a short fleet so I was thinking of shortening the frame and doing that. Any comments on this? The box and gate are solid as a rock, minus the wood floor of course. Thanks for any info in advance.!
If it is a project for you and your son, and it will be your sons truck, why do you care if a long stepper is a desirable truck.. ??
Now if it was for a flip I could see asking.. But I'd check the box that any lack of value dollar wise is made up with spending time working the project with the son..
But I tend to put more value in stuff like that then dollar value..
Not everyone does.. Not mine to judge..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #32
Squink1

Let me help clarify something . I never said it was going to be my son's truck. I said it was a project for me and my son. He has been my buddy in the shop since he was 3 years old. I have been mechanic for 20 years . 11 yrs big diesel, 6 yrs cert auto and the last 3 marine tech. I worked way to much and time with my kids suffered. I have 2 older girls 23 and 21. This will be a truck that he will drive also on occasion . He understands mechanics and welds pretty good (on the thicker stuff) now on to sheet metal which is way different. He wants a diesel truck like all his buddies for a daily driver which i am trying to convince him to get a gasser. The reason being is everything he is looking at is tuned which makes trannys and stuff pretty expensive when your job is washing dishes once a week. Me and his mother have been divorced for the last ten years and he lives with me most of the time. Hanging out with dad now isn't as cool as it used to be , lots more with buddies you know. Anyways , i am sorry for all the rambling . I guess what i am saying is i put work before my kids and i can't get those years back, now i tell him if his buddies want to come over and you all want to mess with your trucks thats cool, i am with my kid and teaching the other kids some things also. Which makes me the cool old man again!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #33
NGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink1 View Post
Let me help clarify something . I never said it was going to be my son's truck. I said it was a project for me and my son. He has been my buddy in the shop since he was 3 years old. I have been mechanic for 20 years . 11 yrs big diesel, 6 yrs cert auto and the last 3 marine tech. I worked way to much and time with my kids suffered. I have 2 older girls 23 and 21. This will be a truck that he will drive also on occasion . He understands mechanics and welds pretty good (on the thicker stuff) now on to sheet metal which is way different. He wants a diesel truck like all his buddies for a daily driver which i am trying to convince him to get a gasser. The reason being is everything he is looking at is tuned which makes trannys and stuff pretty expensive when your job is washing dishes once a week. Me and his mother have been divorced for the last ten years and he lives with me most of the time. Hanging out with dad now isn't as cool as it used to be , lots more with buddies you know. Anyways , i am sorry for all the rambling . I guess what i am saying is i put work before my kids and i can't get those years back, now i tell him if his buddies want to come over and you all want to mess with your trucks thats cool, i am with my kid and teaching the other kids some things also. Which makes me the cool old man again!
Posted via Mobile Device
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #34
NGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure how I put that last post in but here I go again.
That's one way cool truck ,me I'd keep it mostly the same , my twelve year old son on the other hand , Cummins, Allison Trans , Dually, Four x Four , Stacks. He knew exactly what he'd do when we first seen one at a swap meet a couple years back and still hounds me about it. Wish he had the cash it be sitting in the garage. lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #35
ghalperin

Here you go...

Name:  ls 4 (2).jpg
Views: 173
Size:  89.7 KB
Name:  ls 3 (2).jpg
Views: 172
Size:  86.9 KB
Name:  ls 2 (2).jpg
Views: 180
Size:  90.7 KB
Name:  ls 1 (2).jpg
Views: 172
Size:  88.9 KB

1960 Burro Corvair/VW Buggy - Factory made in Santa Ana, Ca

1929 Ford Model A Roadster - traditional pre-war banger hot rod
ghalperin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #36
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I see you listed your fleet of vehicles and noticed the truck is a heater delete truck. Thjat is an extremely rare option and worth some big bucks if you have both firewall and dash plates intact.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:37 PM   #37
Squink1

Thanks ghalperin for turning them pics around! Like i said before, my computer skills are not very good. I will send more pics as we go tearing it apart. I know i will have many more questions. Looking foward to talking to all of you again!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:53 PM   #38
Khyron

That is one sexy truck!
Khyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:23 AM   #39
ghalperin

[QUOTE=Squink1;7868940] Has some definite upper rocker issues and around the cowl vents and outside on the firewall directly behind the hood hinges. My questions are what do most of you do to fix the kick panel vents rust? And also the outer cowl area? I am assuming that debris went down the cowl and stuck in that area and rusted from the inside of the firewall? Any replacement panels out there for this? QUOTE]

You can check the parts for sale ads, as cabs are getting cut up and someone may have listed the panel that you're looking for.

You can also place parts wanted ads (in the parts for sale section) for the exact panel that you need and most likely someone has it for sale.

1960 Burro Corvair/VW Buggy - Factory made in Santa Ana, Ca

1929 Ford Model A Roadster - traditional pre-war banger hot rod
ghalperin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #40
tirekikr

Old post, but very curious about how the father/son project is going.....
tirekikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #41
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirekikr View Post
Old post, but very curious about how the father/son project is going.....

The OP hasn't been back on since 12/28/17 but you never know when someone might pop back in....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote