The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2022, 12:56 PM   #1
Johnl48

Adding a neutral safety switch

I converted to an automatic from a 4 sp. I'm using the original harness, so I know I have to reroute the reverse light plug into the cab but what do I need to do to add a wire for the neutral safety switch ?

Thank
Johnl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:30 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Adding a neutral safety switch

Neutral Safety switch (NSS) power comes from the ignition switch. If you had a manual with no switch, you will need to run the purple wire from the ignition switch to the NSS, then from the NSS to the starter. Doesn't have to be purple if you're the only one who works on it, because you will know. But I'd run it all purple in case someone else is driving it and you aren't available to fix it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
damnyankee36

I've never owned a manual trans truck so I'm assuming there was no clutch pedal-mounted safety switch. Find a good spot to cut the purple wire under the dash that goes from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. Route and/or extend the ends to the backup lights/neutral safety switch on the column and connect them there.

Again, I am assuming that you will also be using an auto column to mount the switch. I guess all manual trucks didn't have any switch mounted on the column?
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
Johnl48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Neutral Safety switch (NSS) power comes from the ignition switch. If you had a manual with no switch, you will need to run the purple wire from the ignition switch to the NSS, then from the NSS to the starter. Doesn't have to be purple if you're the only one who works on it, because you will know. But I'd run it all purple in case someone else is driving it and you aren't available to fix it.
So this wire gets cut and attached to the switch ?

Old 10-31-2022, 04:06 PM   #5
Thealien

On my 1972 blazer that is a factory four-speed vehicle the two purple wires in the harness come out about the same place they would on an automatic. There’s a small plug plugged into it with a purple wire looped back to itself. So in order to connect it to an automatic neutral safety switch I would just have to unplug the loop and plug the connector into the neutral safety switch on the column.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 04:30 PM   #6
Thealien

I want to add that this picture is from an M and H replacement harness. I can’t imagine they would make completely different harnesses for automatics and manual transmissions.

This is a picture of the connector I mentioned in my post above. I have it on top of the steering column so it doesn’t get damaged with the break or clutch pedal since it is not attached to a switch. I’m not 100% sure if the factory did it exactly like this or if they buried that connector in the harness?

Old 10-31-2022, 05:46 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnl48 View Post
So this wire gets cut and attached to the switch ?

Yup, that purple one.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:56 PM   #8
Johnl48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
I want to add that this picture is from an M and H replacement harness. I can’t imagine they would make completely different harnesses for automatics and manual transmissions.

This is a picture of the connector I mentioned in my post above. I have it on top of the steering column so it doesn’t get damaged with the break or clutch pedal since it is not attached to a switch. I’m not 100% sure if the factory did it exactly like this or if they buried that connector in the harness?

Mine doesn't have that plug
Old 10-31-2022, 08:53 PM   #9
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnl48 View Post
Mine doesn't have that plug
Follow the wire from the ignition switch it exits the cab at the bulkhead connector. It would probably be easier to cut it down there if you are sure that connector isn’t buried somewhere.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:50 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post

Same and agree.

Some notes I took that may be helpful. Gauges are sometimes a guess. Heck even color, I'm color blind but did some research, mostly

The brake light switch wires are one 18 AWG white wire to the turn signal switch, and one 18 AWG orange wire from the fuse box. The harness runs from the RH side of the fuse box and wraps with the neutral safety/reverse switch harnesses.

The neutral safety/reverse lamps switch harnesses run from the RH side of the fuse box and plug into the switch as:
• The plug with two 12 AWG purple wires connects to the switch’s RH terminals for neutral safety.

• The plug with two 18 AWG light green and two 18 AWG dark green wires connects to the switch’s LH terminals for reverse lamps, with the light green wires positioned on top.

The wires are taped together with the brake lights switch wires, and there’s an in-harness clip that plugs into the firewall adjacent where the fuse panel reads CLSTR. FEED.

Corrections welcome

Some really good threads:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592968

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801374
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-31-2022 at 10:22 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:54 PM   #11
pjmoreland

You could pop the purple wire out of the bulkhead connector on the firewall and plug it into the Neutral safety switch. You could then get some more purple 12 gauge wire and a couple of Packard 56 crimp terminals and make a short wire to run from the other terminal on the Neutral safety switch to the bulkhead. This approach saves you from having to extend or splice any wires. You need to use the two NSS terminals that are parallel and close together. I believe this is the correct connector housing.

https://jcaparts.com/collections/bui...ator-pin-black

These are the crimp terminals (select 12 gauge for purple wires and 18 gauge for green wires).

https://jcaparts.com/collections/che...-awg-18-20-awg

This should be the reverse light connector housing in case you want to tackle that issue as well. I believe you would pop the light and dark green wires out of the bulkhead, pop them into this housing, and plug it into the NSS.

https://jcaparts.com/collections/che...-housing-black

Last edited by pjmoreland; 11-01-2022 at 11:13 AM.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:51 AM   #12
Johnl48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
You could pop the purple wire out of the bulkhead connector on the firewall and plug it into the Neutral safety switch. You could then get some more purple 12 gauge wire and a couple of Packard 56 crimp terminals and make a short wire to run from the other terminal on the Neutral safety switch to the bulkhead. You need to use the two NSS terminals that are parallel and close together. I believe this is the correct connector housing.

https://jcaparts.com/collections/bui...ator-pin-black

These are the crimp terminals.

https://jcaparts.com/collections/che...-awg-18-20-awg

This should be the reverse light connector housing in case you want to tackle that issue as well. I believe you would pop the light and dark green wires out of the bulkhead connector, pop them into this housing, and plug it into the NSS.

https://jcaparts.com/collections/che...-housing-black
Your links don't work
Old 11-01-2022, 10:50 AM   #13
pjmoreland

I fixed them
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote