The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #26
Tinkermc

Re: Pictures Of Frame Prep/Paint

Not trying to highjack, Sammy your frame looks very fine but would like better look at wheels.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #27
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
You guys buy these from the vendor in the post? Also, looks like they only work on grinders (a tool I do not have, yet). Thats one thing about the wire wheels, I can use it in my drills.
You will smile when you get even a cheap hand grinder. I've got a bunch including a cheap Ryobi (from HD) and it works fine. You could probably strip a frame in ~2-3 hours with a hand held grinder and some good pads.

Get some metal etch: phosphoric acid based "fixer" for final metal prep before paint.

good luck with the frame prep!
JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #28
old Chevy guy

You can buy cheap grinders at harbor freight anywhere from 14 to 24 bucks depending on if you catch a sale. there on sale every other week practically. Look on line and you can see the flyer and often find coupons. I have a couple from there we have had at least two years and they still work fine. We beat the crap out of them and work them like rented mules and they've held up good. I bought 2 so I could run 1 with a cutting wheel and the other with a grinding disk so I don't have to switch back and forth. For the money you cant go wrong. Ive had a few more expensive ones over the years and the pinion gears and bearings in the head is what always fails in all of them eventually.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #29
old Chevy guy

I sandblasted this myself with a Harbor freight pressure blaster about 5 years ago. I paid less then a hundred bucks for it. this was primed with rust oleum rusty metal primer and then rust oleum gloss black. its held up very nicely. You need a beefy compressor to run it though.
Attached Images

old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
Sammy

"Tinkermc" Pics on my link in my build thread with more details below.

Back on topic..I ended up using a borrowed cheap blaster but had also called around for rental by the day units. Abrasive material is messy but it is fast. Those that used the flapper disk..How many disks did you use and approximately man hours? Over all using a poor cheap blaster, maybe 2 large bags of abrasive $3.35 ea, and about 3 hrs of actual time stripping before paint.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #31
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
I sandblasted this myself with a Harbor freight pressure blaster about 5 years ago. I paid less then a hundred bucks for it. this was primed with rust oleum rusty metal primer and then rust oleum gloss black. its held up very nicely. You need a beefy compressor to run it though.
Yeah, I am trying to find a brushable/spray can primer and overcoat. But I am glad you brought up rustoleum products because I am looking into those, seeing as this truck will be a DD. Did you apply any paint on bare metal? If so, how did that go?

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
Yeah, I am trying to find a brushable/spray can primer and overcoat. But I am glad you brought up rustoleum products because I am looking into those, seeing as this truck will be a DD. Did you apply any paint on bare metal? If so, how did that go?
JMO, but if it's going to be a DD (AND there is no significant rust) I would recommend just taking a stiff metal brush to it. Use a dilute mix of phosphoric acid to encourage any surface rust to go bye bye. After dry, spray/brush with whatever rust inhibiting paint you get.

After the paint is good and cured, you might even want to consider spritzing the whole frame with Fluid-Film as a top level water/salt repellent.

cheers
JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #33
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
"Tinkermc" Pics on my link in my build thread with more details below.

Back on topic..I ended up using a borrowed cheap blaster but had also called around for rental by the day units. Abrasive material is messy but it is fast. Those that used the flapper disk..How many disks did you use and approximately man hours? Over all using a poor cheap blaster, maybe 2 large bags of abrasive $3.35 ea, and about 3 hrs of actual time stripping before paint.
If I didn't live in suburbia, I would definitely consider blasting my frame, but unfortunately I don't haha. I would love to have a good size shop later in life, but for now, I work in the garage.

On a side note, I checked out your thread, great truck and love the beige white two tone.

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #34
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spangler View Post
JMO, but if it's going to be a DD (AND there is no significant rust) I would recommend just taking a stiff metal brush to it. Use a dilute mix of phosphoric acid to encourage any surface rust to go bye bye. After dry, spray/brush with whatever rust inhibiting paint you get.

After the paint is good and cured, you might even want to consider spritzing the whole frame with Fluid-Film as a top level water/salt repellent.

cheers
JohnG
Good insight. I just looked up Fluid-Film, looks like a good product. And although this won't be a show truck, I figure I might as well go a little bit the extra mile while everything is off the frame because I don't plan on having it off again anytime soon after the rebuild haha.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #35
Jahloha

Since this post, I went down to HF and picked up a grinder and some abrasive wheels. Lets just say this, I am sold. Still need the wire wheels/cones for some tough to reach places, but the abrasive wheels are amazing and mass coverage.
Name:  Abrasive Wheel 1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  48.4 KB

Thanks for the help guys.

Primer is going to go on front end frame by TH

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #36
Sammy

Looking great. Even during my work on my frame I was just a bit shocked at how expensive any paint has become the past few years. But agree even so, it is worth the extra effort to show some luv on something you plan on keeping around for awhile.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote