The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2003, 08:04 PM   #26
Crank

Thanks for everyone's support for backing me up on the thought of the front end. I do understand why you wouldn't want to use a Mustang 2 kit on a Chevy but beefed up to hold another 1000 lbs. I think it would fare just fine. The intention of asking is to find out the gain about ground clearance and the looks. Eventually my p.o.s. will be a show winner and I want the best of everything under it. And I want it to look the best also.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #27
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I think we have a difference of opinion, based on "Ford" versus "Chevy". The Fatman suspension system IS based on the engineering design of the Mustang II (nee Pinto) design. The common argument is "Why put an econocar front end on a truck?"

If you intend to use your truck AS a truck, then the consideration should be that anything you modify should still be up to the task of doing truck work, i.e., hauling, towing, etc. If you only intend to use it as transportation, hauling nothing more than your own (and maybe one more) butt, then whatever is modified should be considered as to the validity of the task to be performed when the modification is complete. I don't think any reputable vendor would knowingly sell anything to the public, and do it without the issue of liability having already been addressed by his legal eagles. With that being said, there is always room for a disclaimers that absolve the vendor of anything that the customer/consumer screws-up, however it may happen.

Me, I prefer to keep what I have, even though it is basically 34 years old. You have to remember that the Pinto/Mustang II design was introduced in the fall of '70, as a '71 model. So, it is basically a 32-year old design, much maligned and much modified by the aftermarket. If I remember correctly, one of the more-desired suspensions prior to that was that of the Corvair! I've seen more than one street rod, i.e, Model A in particular, with a Corvair front end. Been a buncha Corvair and Vega steering boxes used, too. So, whether or not we happen to agree with what one person chooses to use, don't dis that guy "just because". When it is all said and done, the quality of the workmanship is what is important. If it looks like a dirt dauber mudded it in, then that is an issue between the owner of the vehicle and the person who installed the parts. It's what makes the world go around, folks....as well as keeps a number of barristers in business.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote