The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #26
barryvanhook

Re: Crate Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeeler View Post
Did this come with any kind of engine management system? Thinking about going this route also and was wondering what is requred to get this to work in these older trucks.
Hi Ray ... came with the complete Accel system: computer, plug-n-play harness, O2 sensor, World intake with throttle body and linkage, fuel rails and 24# multipoint injectors installed, distributor installed (with instructions not to frak w/it), etc.

Of course you need an efi fuel system w/return ... I had to add a return line to my aluminum rear tank as well as provide the fuel lines to and from. They provided an electric pump. My old dizzy was hei, so I now have to provide a coil. I wasn't going to screw with things by trying to substitute my old HEI.

It seems to be pretty complete as of this time, with the exception of the above noted items. More stuff will probably come up as the install progresses .... it always happens that way.

Not sure how much longer their introductory deal will be running.

Barry
Old 10-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
repeeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryvanhook View Post
Hi Ray ... came with the complete Accel system: computer, plug-n-play harness, O2 sensor, World intake with throttle body and linkage, fuel rails and 24# multipoint injectors installed, distributor installed (with instructions not to frak w/it), etc.

Of course you need an efi fuel system w/return ... I had to add a return line to my aluminum rear tank as well as provide the fuel lines to and from. They provided an electric pump. My old dizzy was hei, so I now have to provide a coil. I wasn't going to screw with things by trying to substitute my old HEI.

It seems to be pretty complete as of this time, with the exception of the above noted items. More stuff will probably come up as the install progresses .... it always happens that way.

Not sure how much longer their introductory deal will be running.

Barry
I ordered one! They are giving free shipping since I am only a few hundred miles north. But since I am in Texas I will have to pay sales tax so it is a wash! Now to decide if I should stick with the Turbo 350 tranny or go with soemthing newer. Also wondering if I can use my stock tank with this. Guess I have a bit of research ahead of me!
2010 Harley Davidson FLHTK

Last edited by repeeler; 10-31-2010 at 10:46 AM.
repeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #28
classicchev

Thats a great price on a 383 fuel injected complete engine... Up here just the long block is more than that. Too bad Im already setup or there would be one in transit.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:20 PM   #29
barryvanhook

Quote:
I ordered one! They are giving free shipping since I am only a few hundred miles north. But since I am in Texas I will have to pay sales tax so it is a wash! Now to decide if I should stick with the Turbo 350 tranny or go with soemthing newer. Also wondering if I can use my stock tank with this. Guess I have a bit of research ahead of me!
That's great, Ray ... be sure to post the dyno results when the motor arrives. I'm still a week or two away from finish ... may get it fired up next week. Still waiting on some ancillary parts that I decided to add/replace/upgrade "while I was in there".

I'm using my 700R4 and only had it upgraded with new clutchpack and no shift kit ... and added a new converter with stock stall. Seemed to be right for a cruiser. I don't know why the 350 wouldn't work, but an o/d might improve the mpg somewhat. I've heard of stock tanks being converted to efi w/return lines, but I'm unfamilar with the particulars ... I recall others on this forum have done it. Your questions are typical of the "while I'm in there" syndrome that I'm struggling with?

Good luck from one bagger owner (Y2K FLHT) to another! Keep us posted.

Barry
Old 11-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #30
repeeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryvanhook View Post
That's great, Ray ... be sure to post the dyno results when the motor arrives. I'm still a week or two away from finish ... may get it fired up next week. Still waiting on some ancillary parts that I decided to add/replace/upgrade "while I was in there".

I'm using my 700R4 and only had it upgraded with new clutchpack and no shift kit ... and added a new converter with stock stall. Seemed to be right for a cruiser. I don't know why the 350 wouldn't work, but an o/d might improve the mpg somewhat. I've heard of stock tanks being converted to efi w/return lines, but I'm unfamilar with the particulars ... I recall others on this forum have done it. Your questions are typical of the "while I'm in there" syndrome that I'm struggling with?

Good luck from one bagger owner (Y2K FLHT) to another! Keep us posted.

Barry
I won't have mine for 4 weeks. That is how far out they are on the builds. What are you going to run for exhaust? I would like to find a short tube set that will work with this truck but not sure where to start.
2010 Harley Davidson FLHTK
repeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #31
barryvanhook

Quote:
I won't have mine for 4 weeks. That is how far out they are on the builds. What are you going to run for exhaust? I would like to find a short tube set that will work with this truck but not sure where to start.
Yeah, that's about how long it took for me, also. Don't be surprised if it goes out to 5-6 weeks. As far as the headers, I'm looking at some block-hugger alternatives right now ... I'll let you know what I finally go with ... may have to stick w/rams horns if nothing else works.

Barry
Old 11-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #32
DBear

I got a GM crate motor years ago and it was great....and the pricing is real good too.
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #33
cparman
sharp as a marble

I have bought two GM crate motors. ZZ502, and 330hp sb. I love the big block! for a short drive. The small block I can drive for hours. I am the care taker for a LS2 supercharged 57 Chevy, and a ramjet502 in a 56 Buick. If I have learned anything, I am a proponent of the KISS method. Make SOME power, and keep it simple. Long term you will drive it more and enjoy it a TON more!
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote