The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
bigdon-70blazer

Door weatherstrip on the double wall top

I am putting this back togather and removed the original weatherstrips where the windows meet the top. It had several small plastic push pins that I am able to reuse but I have a question to those who have replaced this before. I got some NOS ones from someone on the board or ebay and am trying to use those but they seem to be about an inch or two short. I can stretch them and tack them into place and they seem to work but I will be glueing them down this weekend. Did nayone have similar experience with the aftermarket ones? Did those seem to lay down OK? My computer is down so I have no pics right now. Thanks to this great forum!
bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Webwillie

Re: Door weatherstrip on the double wall top

I have a 72 Blazer and I don't remember that being an issue. That said, it has been my experience that when it comes to clips, tabs etc. the aftermarket ones by and large have been pretty crappy. In some cases the pieces required major 'tweaking' and a few were unuseable. Good luck with your project.
Webwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
jaros44sr

IIRC I used standard door panel fastners and just cut the round part into a 'T'...seemed to work for me. If I get a chance I'll take a pic for you

don't think I even glued them down

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 04-09-2010 at 12:26 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
bigdon-70blazer

I was able to reuse all of my clips so that is not the problem. I wanted to know if the weatherstrip part itself was a tad smaller in lenghth because I had to stretch mine to some degree.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon-70blazer View Post
I was able to reuse all of my clips so that is not the problem. I wanted to know if the weatherstrip part itself was a tad smaller in lenghth because I had to stretch mine to some degree.
Not that I know of, all the holes seem to line up fine

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Hello BigDon, I have asked many times about the "drip rail deflector" that seems to be generically listed with first gen Blazers/Jimmys in general and have never gotten a straight answer.

From what I have researched if you were sold the seals from a single wall top, they appear to be shorter because of the deflector that attaches to the roof and the "A" pillar. I have read many catalogs that just group all the years together when there is a definite difference between a single wall top with the drip deflector and a double wall top without a drip deflector. I looked at member TurpMcspray's single wall top and compared to my double wall top and it looks like the weatherstripping would be too short for a double wall top with no deflector. I have not found a supplier that specifies a difference between the door window gaskets from double wall to single wall and all of the suppliers I checked only have ones that appear to fit single walls even tho they list them as 69-72.

I would also like to get the low down on this subject!

Later---DAC

Rest In Peace Mom. "Dolly" 7/15/23 - 5/18/09
GMC driver for 30 years!

70gmcjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
71jimmy

DAC, are you saying the deflectors only came on/used on the single wall tops?

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71jimmy View Post
DAC, are you saying the deflectors only came on/used on the single wall tops?
I wish I had the expertise to definitely say yes. Most of these guys here think people are some kind of freak if you like these trucks with a top on them, which I do. I replied to a post of this topic again to maybe find an answer. I have only owned one Jimmy, but I know the truck well since 1971. The top has never been removed or altered. TurpMcSprays single wall top has definite "notches" that the deflectors fit right into and it also screws into the "A" pillar, but they would never fit into my double wall and my "A" pillars have never had any holes drilled into them.

I believe I have read from the guys that have owned many of these trucks that the single wall top was 1972 only. It appears that vendors are selling roof/window seals for only "drip rail deflector" type tops. I have never seen any specific for a "1970 double wall top", or any year a double wall top like mine may have been offered. It always says '69-'72, but I am certain one size don't fit all!

I am just trying to find answers too! I don't want to order new seals when my gut feeling is telling me that they ain't the right ones!

I really feel that if BigDon had to stretch his seals that far something isn't right. Usually weather stripping contracts as it ages and if he is already pulling it to fit new, it isn't going to last long.

Later---DAC

GMC driver for 30 years!

Last edited by 70gmcjimmy; 04-10-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
bigdon-70blazer

I did not have any drip deflectors on mine.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
bigdon-70blazer

Checked the numbers on the boxes and I have NOS 1969-70 double wall top weatherstrip and it is short but I glued it doiwn yesterday and taped and clamped it down, will check to see today if the 3m weatherstrip adhesive works. Checked the header weatherstrip part and what do you know, it is 1 inch short also! Is there a theme going on here? Thankfully the original I pulled was still in great shape and I may reuse that one.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Wow, NOS. That's a little different situation too. It still could have shrunk some thru the years but I would definitely trust stretching NOS much more than current production items. The 3m adhesive should work fine.

DAC

GMC driver for 30 years!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
bigdon-70blazer

The 3m seemed to hold well, just did a little touchup and spot glueing and taping and it seems to be ok. Will try to glue down the passenger side tomorrow and the header.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

I am planning on taking off my top to replace all the rubber, any pics you have would be cool!

Thanks

vance
VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Not to say I'm confused, but comparing what was outlined in the thread, 69-70 Blazers used a single wall top with drip deflectors. / 71-72 Blazers used a double wall top with out drip deflectors?
I'm working on a 72 Blazer and I'm sure it is has a double wall and it came with drip deflectors. Well I just purchased all new rubber seals, door caps and drip reflectors from Brothers. I was told these were the best ones available (LT warranty?? / Brand??). Now, I'm not sure what year they cover or type of top. I'll have to check this and make sure my stuff is right. But, This info is very helpful as I'm not a Blazer/Jimmy expert.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

We need pics of this!! I just got mine in the mail from LMC and am ready to install them. Mine did not have any clips though. The driver side had 3 screws in it and the passenger had 1. Both sides had weatherstrip adhesive besides the screws.

Anyone have pics of how they are supposed to be installed? Does the assembly manual show it? I'll research that tonight.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
Not to say I'm confused, but comparing what was outlined in the thread, 69-70 Blazers used a single wall top with drip deflectors. / 71-72 Blazers used a double wall top with out drip deflectors?
I'm working on a 72 Blazer and I'm sure it is has a double wall and it came with drip deflectors. Well I just purchased all new rubber seals, door caps and drip reflectors from Brothers. I was told these were the best ones available (LT warranty?? / Brand??). Now, I'm not sure what year they cover or type of top. I'll have to check this and make sure my stuff is right. But, This info is very helpful as I'm not a Blazer/Jimmy expert.
I think it is opposite of what you said, the single wall top with drip rail deflectors was available only in 1972, but that is coming from a pretty bad memory reading stuff here. The double wall top without drip deflectors were available from 1969 up and I think I have read that some 1972's had double wall tops also so maybe they were modified to fit the deflectors.
As I said above my '70 Jimmy is the only one that I have ever owned so I really don't have the facts on all of the years.

DAC

GMC driver for 30 years!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #17
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Big Don- Hopefully not hijacking your thread. I'll get some pictures and part numbers of my gaskets sets and take a look at this - along with your original question. I might shed some light on these issues. Thanks
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
Big Don- Hopefully not hijacking your thread. I'll get some pictures and part numbers of my gaskets sets and take a look at this - along with your original question. I might shed some light on these issues. Thanks
And I just looked, there are no pics in the assembly manual other than just a general few of how the top is assembled.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote