The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
pat123
Pat

Calling all you stereo experts

I instaled a new stereo in my 69 pickup, but its haveing some issues. As i turn up the volume a fuzzy sounds occures and get worse as i turn it up. I have 2 speakers under the seat and one in the dash. I took the one above the deck out because i thought it was possibly messing with the signal but didnt help. I tried running my ground right to the batterie, didnt help. The speakers are fine because i pluged them into dads deck with no problems. The decks fine because i took it back and got a new one. The only other think i can think of is where i connected it or my connections. Unfortunatly me solder gun was broken so i crimped and heat wrapped the connections. The stereo says it need 12 Amps, i ran it to the cigarette lighter on the fuse box. I dont know how many amps are there but it blew a fuse once witch was a 3amp. I replaced that fuse with a 10amp one, still not working.
Any help would be awsome

Thanks
Pat
pat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
RIDDLA

Re: Calling all you stereo experts

You need to check your wires and see if any of your speaker wires are grounding
72 Chevy Suburban Blurban
74 Vw Bug
78 Chevy k10 lwb
78 Chevy k10 swb
03 Cadillac Escalade-Duecesix
84 Cadillac Coupe Deville DeElegance

B.O. A Lifestyle Money Cant Buy!
Win,Lose, or Tie
I'm a Raider till i die
RIDDLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
tasian

yeah i'd check the speaker wires or just run a short temp wire and hold the speaker to make sure thats not it

are all of your wires new?

and just to make sure....this isn't when listening to the radio right?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
pat123
Pat

It does it with anything radio, CD, ipod. One side has old speaker wire and the other has new their both doing it though.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

The noise is probably a High Frequecy (HF) noise that your picking up off your Dizy. If your stereo or speakers are too close to the motor or some eletronics that put off HF waves it will play through your stereo.

Does it start off with a low buzz and get louder when you get on the gas. If so you need to relocate your speaker, CD player, or the wires. If you have cheap wires it's worth it to get some good monster wire from wal-mart or a audio shop.

I hope this helps. I've installed a lot of stereos, all from audio/video and have ran into the same problems, Just move some stuff around till you find the problem.

Also about the fuses. I would move the hot wire off the lighter and hook it to a good known positive that has atleast 12 amps. Remember that running a stereo and something else off the same fuse is going to cut the amps down.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
pat123
Pat

Quote:
The noise is probably a High Frequecy (HF) noise that your picking up off your Dizy. If your stereo or speakers are too close to the motor or some eletronics that put off HF waves it will play through your stereo.
It does it all the time not just when it running. It also doesnt change when i rev it up. Would anything else under the dash put out high frequencies?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
LMN8UR

I'd put another 3 amp fuse in it. Double check, I'll bet it requires 12V and not amps. Other wise they wouldn't have put the 3 amp fuse in it. But that's not your noise problem.

Once you replace the fuse, run a hot wire directly to the battery (Temporary). With the accessories OFF, see if you still get the noise, that will tell you if it's interference or stereo / speaker problems.
TKO-500 & 3.08:1 rear

I Love HEMI's, they're soft & chewy!
LMN8UR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #8
Diablo de la Noche

You say the interference gets louder as you turn it up. It may be a power draw. The main power wire you spliced into may be overloaded, maybe due to corrosion or a frayed section of the wire.

Try isolating the entire system. Ground the stereo to the chasis/body, then run all new wires to the speakers, out of the truck, like on the seat. Install the head unit, run it again. Then put one of the speakers in, etc. This should get you close. In an older vehicle you should run all new stereo wires because you never know what was in there before. Old vehicles and new stereos sometimes don't mix well at first, but eventually it will work.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
gkesseru

Since it's volume related, it may be that your speakers aren't rated to the power capability of your receiver. Example: Is your receiver 100 watts per channel but your speakers only rated for 50? This will cause an overdrive problem where your speakers coils are traveling to their limits at higher volumes.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Mike J
vw guy & now c-10 guy

yeah, sounds like to me that you are just driving the speakers too hard (turning up the volume too far) and causing the speakers to distort.
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Probably not the problem, but never run signal wires (rca, speaker, usb, etc) wires next to power wires, it can introduce interference. And if it is at low volumes too then I don't think that it is a problem with overdriving the speakers. I'd run a temp. hot to the batt. like suggested above.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
big mike71

You say that you have three speakers, How are they hooked up is the one in the dash on the front fader or is it hooked up with one of the back ones. It sound to me like your speakers are not grounded right.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
cdowns

did you ground the case of the stereo good? shiney metal to shiney metal is a good ground
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #14
pat123
Pat

I ran all new wires to the fuse box but not out of it. Ill try running the hot wire to the battery and see.

Pat
Old 05-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
Brett09

It should be pretty simple. Just follow step by step until the problem in solved. If you have any questions PM me.

1. Disconnect the speaker wires front he radio and test them and see if there is ground coming from one of them. If there is it has a short and the needs to be traced back and replaced of it can't be fixed.

2. Test each speaker for ohms. It should be close to 4 ohms.

3. Make sure that each speaker is hooked to one channel each. Don't try to bridge anything. IE. the white set of wires, white and white w/ a black stripe is only going to one speaker.

4. Run a ground to a bolt close to the radio that has the paint removed. Try to keep it under 18" and NEVER run it to the battery. Power is okay but never the ground.

5. Check the grounds from the battery to the frame and body. Clean them up and check the ground going to the engine too.

I'm sure one of these will solve your problem. If it doesn't we can keep going with it. A healthy electrical system will never give noise in the stereo unless the power is connected or close to something like the coil. There is no need to ground the case of the radio to anything but you can if you want to. If you do just cut the ground wire coming out of the radio about 6", strip both ends of the radio ground wire and the wire that will go to the ground on the body. Put both of the wires in a ring connector, crimp and mount it to the hole in the center of the back of the radio. After that just ground the wire like in step 4.
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
pat123
Pat

Still having trouble. Did a bunch of the stuff that was said above. Im wondering if i need an amp, booster, filter or something. Im not sure how to read this stuff. What do i want to compare when it comes to the specs?

Thanks
Pat
Old 06-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #17
Brett09

Think you can take a few pics of the connections and how everything is mounted. That might be a bit easier to see what you are dealing with.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #18
pat123
Pat

Pics

The Blue wire is my constant power and the red going to the black connector is my ingnition

2 speakers under the seat (tdx6502)

Disconnected front speaker. All my connection are like this. (tdx6802)

And the maint connector to the deck (deh-3200ub)

Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #19
Brett09

On the white and the gray wires you have them hooked up together. Just pick on set either white white/blk or gray gray/blk to go to the front speaker. That should fix it. What was happening was having those wires altogether it was shorting out the stereo. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by Brett09; 06-08-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
pat123
Pat

Those wires were for the front one. I dont have 2 fronts (LH,RH) so i thought i would get a weird sound in the front one because it would be either left or right. When i tried the steroe without the front one it still did it. Would that connection make it screw up even if nothing was plugged to it? Alos how should i hook up the front one if thats incorrect?

Pat
Old 06-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
Brett09

Yeah having the wires hooked together liked that would short out the radio even if they are not hooked to anything else. Just pick one of the sets either the gray or the white and connect it to the speaker. Just not both.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #22
pat123
Pat

that worked, i didnt think that would do anything. Thanks for the hellp everyone.

Pat