The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Angry Replacement engine mounts > Beware!

Has anybody bought clamshell type engine mounts lately? Man, there terrible quality! Last year I bought a new set from Napa thinking they would be “good” being they came from Napa instead of a dime store part house like AutoZone. Meh, they didn’t last a year. I first started noticing the fan was rubbing the shroud this summer on the desert trip when flexed hard. Then it started doing it more and more until I crawled under it to find both new mounts caved in pushing the 8.1L oil pan right into the ORD cross member! I got lucky it didn’t rub through the pan. I am sure 600 lb ft of torque 8.1L didn’t help those mounts any but seriously, they shouldn’t have gone to crap that quickly being they were supposed to be big block mounts.

That all said, if you need a set of engine mounts I recommend getting a set of Energy Suspension inserts and reusing the original metal shells as the aftermarket shells are paper thin garbage. I had to go to the salvage yard to grab a set of original GM mounts to use with the Energy Suspension inserts.

Ouch!

Junk Napa mounts (I had already taken the nut off before I thought about taking a picture)

OEM shells with Energy Suspension inserts vs. Napa big block mount

Much better! To my surprise I don’t feel any engine vibration as you would expect from a Polyurethane mount.

Got plenty of room now.

Poor oil pan has some scars on it now. Luckily it didn’t cause a crack or leak.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Replacement engine mounts > Beware!

its not just the motor mounts for these trucks.. ive had issues with the ones on my mothers didge minivan and my son has had them in his acura tear out too.. guess its all just inferior junk these days

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

I used the Energy Suspension mounts in the original clamshells and they've held up well to years of a 383 with a rough idling cam. Also have their transmission mount too and no problems so far.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
85sierraclassic

hmm that sucks, good thing you noticed when you did, got a question thow how do you put the energy suspention ones in the stock shell
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
sethv

That's not looking too good for me then, I just put new motor mounts in my '78 back in September from AutoZombie. Hopefully they last for a few years but I guess a man can dream lol.
sethv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I find myself asking myself more and more these days: Why the hell do they EVEN make this stuff? A: cuz you'll buy at least one before you find out its crap, $$ made. that and most people probably dont even notice it's crap.

My best case in point is aftermarket 77-80 manual window crank handles (Black plastic). been through about 12 of em in 3 years and I only have 2 doors. finally got the metal ones from a 76 and earlier truck and they dont strip out but the handle snaps off of the round part, or the rivet for the spinning knob shears off. Total crap. I'd pay the price for NOS if I could find them.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

I went with energy's also, the replacement ones I was going use look like they would bust after a few hard launches
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85sierraclassic View Post
hmm that sucks, good thing you noticed when you did, got a question thow how do you put the energy suspention ones in the stock shell
Just drill the rivet out of the OEM shells in order to open them and remove the old rubber insert. You really don’t need to rivet them back together, just put them in the truck loose and the bolts that hold them to the frame also hold them together.

Kenny, I agree. To your point on the plastic window cranks, I too went through a few aftermarket ones until I finally grabbed a few OEM cranks from the bone yard. The bone yard crank is still working fine and I have 2 spare OEM cranks left. The Dorman (HELP!) window cranks are a waist if time.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
gramps

Problem with napa 'balkamp' mounts is they have switched vendors twice in the last few years. Nobody is making good mounts anymore, unless you get the energy, those are great. Unfortunatly the napa ones are just dorman reboxed. The vendor before dorman (mounts wise) was decent, but we havent had mounts from them in a few years now.
gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Good to know, I will be buying a set from energy suspension.

Also the Dorman HELP 84+ turn signal/ wiper lever is junk. I bought one and had to cut 1/8" off the end of the metal rod then pull the plastic handle off the rod, install it in the column, then epoxy the handle back on the rod.
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Zebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Chevyrado View Post
I find myself asking myself more and more these days: Why the hell do they EVEN make this stuff? A: cuz you'll buy at least one before you find out its crap, $$ made. that and most people probably dont even notice it's crap.
Whenever I have this problem I always say "Welcome to walmart" < not capitalized on purpose.
Zebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Polygraphite bushings work great too!! They don't squeal like poly. Soft like rubber. Sturdy and black.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
72tutone

Where is everyone getting these inserts? Specifically for the 67-72 models. I've seen them from 75 and up and different chevy models, but nothing for C10'

Just realized that this is in the 73-87 forum.

Disregard please
72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #14
Jake Wade

I bet these are nice quality

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...olet/model/c10

But who can afford them, GEEZ
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote