The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
vrba

Introducing myself

Hope I am in the right forum for this. I have been lurking around on the forum for a while now. You guys seem like an awesome group and I have learned an incredible amount from here and put much of it into use. What a great site!

Anyway, my name is Keith. I live in the Dallas TX area with my wife and two children. This truck is actually my daughter's truck. She is 16 and really like 67-72 C-10's. I actually tried to convince her to consider a 60-66 but she definitely wanted a 67-72. Furthermore, she prefers long beds over short beds. Couldn't really complain about that too much as I was able to find a much better deal on a lwb vs swb. Her name is Daisy, and she has sure put her fair share of elbow grease and time into this truck to help me get it to where it is today.

Now about the truck. It is a 1970 with a sbc 350 and powerglide trans. I plan to change the transmission to a th350 or maybe even something with OD if budget allows. We have done quite a bit of work on it already. First we completely re-built the brakes, everything from rubber lines, cylinders, drum kits, etc. We then installed a power brake booster and new master. Next, we installed power steering. We pulled the original bench seat and put in bucket seats from a 06 silverado, POR-15'd the inside of the cab floors, put sound deadener down, and new carpet. We also put rally's on the truck after doing a 2/4 spring drop with new shocks and relocaters. We are in the process of installing a front sway bar and installing new trailing arms because the existing arms are rusted pretty bad by the rear springs.

Here are some pics. The first one is how the truck looked when we first got it. Well except that we pulled the bed because it was rusted beyond repair. The others are either current or fairly current.

Hope you guys enjoy them. I am open to any suggestions. Our goal from here is to replace the cab corners and rockers and then add a vintage air a/c. Again, at least a th350 and perhaps a 700r4.

vrba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Burgie70

Re: Introducing myself

Welcome,
Nice looking truck! I'm kind of new here too and this is definitely the place to get correct info on our trucks.

Tom
Old 10-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Welcome and nice truck. You and your daughter will always have a bond with this. I think it is absolutely awesome that she has an interest. Not many children her age care about these old vehicles like we did when we were kids.

Plenty of good people and a wealth of knowledge here and even some drama when things get boring

Have fun

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Hey there. Welcome aboard. Cool truck, you are a lucky man to have a daughter that digs the classics. If I may, with no disrespect, make an important observation. Rubber fuel line has it's place, just not that much or that location. Would be a crime to lose the truck, or worse yet, injure that young lady over $5.00 worth of steel line. Just an observation, no bashing. I will quit harping now. Thanks, Fred.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
john
member #16

Welcome to the board.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
mud.man.rj

Welcome to the truck forum, a lot of good ideas and help here, looks like you used a few already. What a difference on the truck and proud of Daisy, very cool girl and truck. Keep us posted on the build.
Thanks Rick/Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
vrba

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post
Hey there. Welcome aboard. Cool truck, you are a lucky man to have a daughter that digs the classics. If I may, with no disrespect, make an important observation. Rubber fuel line has it's place, just not that much or that location. Would be a crime to lose the truck, or worse yet, injure that young lady over $5.00 worth of steel line. Just an observation, no bashing. I will quit harping now. Thanks, Fred.
Absolutely no offense taken at all. I am glad you mentioned it. Sometimes one gets too wrapped up with all the "stuff" that needs to be accomplished to make it a safe truck to drive and then easily overlooks the simple stuff. Steel fuel line is now going to the top of the list!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
specialtyretail

I really like the look of rally wheels without trim rings. The fade on the tailgate lettering is a neat touch.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
ksshane

Welcome to the board
Old 10-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post

I could not have said it better Fred. You are good people and when I am in St Louis next time, I would like to come down your way and meet you.

Sorry did not mean to get off topic here. Fred is correct. Not much to put a steel line in place. Keep the rubber to a minimum on fuel line, if any

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
tlcrz1972

Definitely change the fuel line.

You might consider changing the exhaust, get it tucked up inside the frame where it won't get caught on speed bump, curbs and maybe the occasional squirrel.
1972 Chevrolet Cheyenne LB 1/2 ton finished restoration/rebuild 1995 350 throttle body FI, 4L6E (running on modified GM wiring harness) 3.08 posi rearend, factory A/C on 134A, p/s, p/b, late 70's power windows and locks and cruise, speakers in the dash + 6x9's behind the seat, factory tilt, 40 gallon fuel tank in the bed with integrated tool box, air assist bags on the rearend, sway bar up front and much more.

1972 chevrolet SNB finished 2002, 350 TB FI, TH400, factory A/C, p/b, p/s, (FOR SALE)

1969 Chevrolet 1 ton in work, home made PTO dump bed extended frame, 350 CI ,

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton suburban future project

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton p/u maybe a project one day

1966 Toyota Landcruiser my playtoy
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
specialtyretail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcrz1972 View Post
Definitely change the fuel line.

You might consider changing the exhaust, get it tucked up inside the frame where it won't get caught on speed bump, curbs and maybe the occasional squirrel.
Mmmmm, mmm squirrel. Squirrel dumplins, squirrel stew, squirrel n gravy, squirr,, gotta go fire up my grill...
Old 10-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
70cst

Hey vrba ...

to the forums and from Ohio

on owning the right year for these trucks. 70 rocks

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
lil hoodlum

Welcome from Denton!

I like the light blue!

My name is also Keith by the way!
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
chvtrkman

Welcome,you and your daughter have done a nice job thus far. You are a blessed man to have a child, son or daughter, that has an interest in these classic vehicles. Interestingly, I was just having a discussion with my 14 yr. old daughter earlier today about my C-20. She mostly just listened to what I said about my Dad buying a '71 Blazer when I was close to her age, and all the fond memories of going places with him as a kid. I tried to explain to her how I get to re-live, in a way, some of my growing up years whenever I take the ol' truck out for a drive. Hopefully some day it will all "click" in her head and she'll understand.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
GOPAPA

Welcome Keith ..good looking truck ,,way to go..thx for the photos
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
mmiddle

Welcome from just up I-35 from you! That's cool your daughter likes old trucks! When my oldest turned 16 (she is now 20) I bought her a 87 IROC.

There are several of us from the Northside of the Metro-mess on the board.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #18
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Welcome, nice truck and its great to have your daughter interested. I like the green engine also.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414

Last edited by Mr Chevorlet; 10-05-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #19
specialtyretail

How is the truck coming?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
vrba

Hey thanks for asking. We have done a few things recently. We installed an ECE front sway bar, wow what difference! We also replaced the trailing arms that were rusting out near the spring perches with ECE trailing arms. Got the adjustable track bar installed and then took the truck for an alignment. The truck is driving really nice now. I have new inner and outer rockers for both passenger and driver sides. The plan is to get them welded in this weekend. I also had the windshield replaced due to a large crack. I priced the back glass at the shop and it was almost 500 to have it done, so I waited on it for now. I think I can find the glass cheaper and then have them install it for about 100.

I almost forgot to mention, I happen to have a freshly rebuilt sbc 350 in my garage, I stole the steel fuel line from it and put it on the c-10. We also found a fan shroud at a junk yard and got it installed. I had a 19 inch fan blade on the truck. Luckily, the local auto parts store had a 18 inch blade in stock which is apparenly the proper size for this truck/shroud.

Next is, window felt/anti-rattle kits, air conditioning, radio, and maybe swap the powerglide for a th350.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
vrba

Haven't had much time to work on thr truck because we have been in the process of buying a new home. We are closing Dec 18th. Can't wait to put the truck in my new garage! Now I need to research a good lift that will fit in the garage. I didn't measure the height yet , but I am guessing around 10 feet. Maybe less. Either way, I will finally have a garage with the space needed for working in!
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
eldogg

Congrats on the cool new pad and welcome to the site.
eldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Ironangel

Welcome to the board Keith! Love the color you guys chose and the truck looks great! PS. Thats my dream home and garage!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #24
Ricks1971

Welcome and nice trucks!
Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
Burgie70

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrba View Post
Haven't had much time to work on thr truck because we have been in the process of buying a new home. We are closing Dec 18th. Can't wait to put the truck in my new garage! Now I need to research a good lift that will fit in the garage. I didn't measure the height yet , but I am guessing around 10 feet. Maybe less. Either way, I will finally have a garage with the space needed for working in!
I hope my wife doesn't see the pic of your new house because she's always wanted a wrap around porch! LOL