The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
Horne

I6 250 swap to a V8 327 help

Hey guys I have a question I need help with. I have a 72 C10 Stepside with an I6 250. I got a line on a good SB 327 for cheap and I want to put it in the truck. My question is will it drop right in with the same mounts? Can I pull the block mounts of my I6 and use those? do I need to move the frame mounts to the forward holes in the frame? Do I need to buy all new mounts from LMC made FOR the 327? I have been browsing every forum I can find and I have been finding mixed advice. Thanks in advance guys!

My Build Thread- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43#post6421143
Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
Lattimer

Re: I6 250 swap to a V8 327 help

I think you need the small block mount pads (I'd replace them anyways duringt he swap, they are cheap), but otherwise it should drop right in. Mount it in the L-6 position to keep from messing with your driveshaft. My truck had a 327 mounted in the L-6 position by the PO when I got it, and I have since replaced with a newer 355 crate engine which also dropped right in place. Only issue I have is the distributor (HEI on mine) is close to the firewall and hard to reach. Plenty of clearance though.

Only thing you might have to do is a little fab for the clutch Z-bar if you have a manual trans. On mine the L-6 Z-bar was re-used and the ball stud was just threaded directly into the block, which is how I still have it. Works fine.

Mounting in the L-6 position does give the truck a better weight distribution and helps handling if you are looking at suspension upgrades and such.

I have a ton of pics in my build thread.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
Horne

Thanks do much for the reply! I'm not following on the L-6 position though

Old 12-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Lattimer

2 sets of holes in the frame, and I think they are about 3" apart. The rear position is where the 6 cylinder engines mounted, the forward position is where the V-8's mounted. You can leave the mounts in the 6 cyl spot and the SBC will fit right in. It mates up to the bellhousing perfect, and you don't have to modify the driveline. Its close to the firewall, but at least in my truck it works just fine. Some folks feel the distributor is too close to the firewall, but mine is ok.

If you mount in the V-8 position, you move the stands forward, which means the bellhousing has to move forward, which means that the crossmember has to move forward, which means a longer driveshaft, and messing with the clutch rod setup.

Oh, and don't buy from LMC. They sell complete crap. Stuff like suspension parts and motor mounts, etc., I usually order from RockAuto.com. Or sometimes you can get them from your local auto parts stores.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Horne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
2 sets of holes in the frame, and I think they are about 3" apart. The rear position is where the 6 cylinder engines mounted, the forward position is where the V-8's mounted. You can leave the mounts in the 6 cyl spot and the SBC will fit right in. It mates up to the bellhousing perfect, and you don't have to modify the driveline. Its close to the firewall, but at least in my truck it works just fine. Some folks feel the distributor is too close to the firewall, but mine is ok.

If you mount in the V-8 position, you move the stands forward, which means the bellhousing has to move forward, which means that the crossmember has to move forward, which means a longer driveshaft, and messing with the clutch rod setup.

Oh, and don't buy from LMC. They sell complete crap. Stuff like suspension parts and motor mounts, etc., I usually order from RockAuto.com. Or sometimes you can get them from your local auto parts stores.
You definitely cleared up ALOT for me right there haha one other question with the HEI distributor though is since you have it mounted in the L6 position if you wanted to pull the Distributor out or if I wanted to upgrade to an HEI at a later date will it come out or does the engine need to be pulled with it being so close to the firewall?

Old 12-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Horne

Oh also, Sorry. The 327 Im buying doesn't have Block mounts on it......will the ones I pulled of my I6 bolt on to the 327 block with no issues?

Old 12-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Yes, your HEI will easily remove without pulling the engine. There's enough room to slide your hand between the distributor and the firewall. Just unbolt distributor and pull it up and out if needed. It's got more room than a lot of GM muscle cars with HEI do.

Your current I6 motor mount rubbers will bolt directly to the 327. Same 3 bolt pattern. You will not be using the steel spacers that go between the I6 block and the motor mount. Just the rubber part itself. Bolt them to the block and drop the engine in.

I'd look close at the engine mount rubbers though. They're under 10 dollars each so replace them unless your current ones are in exceptional shape. If you buy new ones, the same part number fits I6 and small blocks so the guy at the parts store won't get confused.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horne View Post
You definitely cleared up ALOT for me right there haha one other question with the HEI distributor though is since you have it mounted in the L6 position if you wanted to pull the Distributor out or if I wanted to upgrade to an HEI at a later date will it come out or does the engine need to be pulled with it being so close to the firewall?
My dizzy will come out fine, I just have to remove the cap first.

Not sure on the engine mounts, but they should be replaced anyways so just get a V-8 set. They will bolt to the engine stands just fine.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter

Your motor mount part number is 2282. That number should work in any part store you choose. The same mount fits I6 engines and small blocks. You can check it for yourself.

Rockauto has them for 3 dollars each.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Horne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Your motor mount part number is 2282. That number should work in any part store you choose. The same mount fits I6 engines and small blocks. You can check it for yourself.

Rockauto has them for 3 dollars each.
Thanks for the info! I bought new rubbers to replace anyway but I had no idea that it bolted straight to the small block and not as an insert like with the I6.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horne View Post
Thanks for the info! I bought new rubbers to replace anyway but I had no idea that it bolted straight to the small block and not as an insert like with the I6.
It sounds like you have the idea. The six cylinder uses a steel bracket between the block and the rubber mount. The small block, bolts straight to the mount though. You can even reuse the three little bolts that held the rubber mount onto the six cylinder brackets to secure the mount to your small block.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
mjjjracing

I bought 2 step sides that had the small block mounted in the 6 cyl mount,s and it will work, but I found when I tried to flip the mounts in to the front holes they did not line up, I took a set off of an original small block and they bolted right up
39 GMC pickup,70 GMC K1500 short bed 4x4 ,72 K10 short bed step side 4x4 ,71 short bed fleet side , 72 K20 long bed ,74 K10 long bed , 69 C30 dump bed dually, 79 K30 standard cab dually , 02 Dodge 4x4 dually
mjjjracing is offline   Reply With Quote