The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
SourTooth307

Need to Get At the Gauge Cluster, Best Way?

So I need to get at the gauge cluster to replace some burnt out bulbs, or at best to swap it out for one with the Quartz clock I have. It looks like some phillips head screws and prolly some small 10mm bolts behind that are what stand in my way, but I can't figure out how to get the radio knobs off to get me past the bezel. How do you get the knobs to come off on my 84 K10?
SourTooth307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Need to Get At the Gauge Cluster, Best Way?

if that's the large radio you leave it there if its the standard older radio you just pull them toward you
Usually if you pop off the dash pad you can reach behind there after moving AC Ducts

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Ski-me

It makes it much easier if you pull the dash pad out or at least unscrew the screws along the front edge and one on far passenger side (have to open passenger door to get access).

That will allow the instrument bezel to be able to move around a bit more and maybe get over the radio knobs. But I thought on the older manual knobs, you could just pull them off by pulling straight out?!?

Once you get the bezel off, you can unscrew the cluster. To take the cluster out (to change bulbs), you'll need to disconnect the speedo cable on the back side of the cluster. It has a push clip that keeps it secure. You'll need to push that tab down (and towards the direction of the front of cluster) to release the speedo cable at the same time.

Once that's done, you just have the electrical connector and should be easy to see at that point.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
SourTooth307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
It makes it much easier if you pull the dash pad out or at least unscrew the screws along the front edge and one on far passenger side (have to open passenger door to get access).

That will allow the instrument bezel to be able to move around a bit more and maybe get over the radio knobs. But I thought on the older manual knobs, you could just pull them off by pulling straight out?!?

Once you get the bezel off, you can unscrew the cluster. To take the cluster out (to change bulbs), you'll need to disconnect the speedo cable on the back side of the cluster. It has a push clip that keeps it secure. You'll need to push that tab down (and towards the direction of the front of cluster) to release the speedo cable at the same time.

Once that's done, you just have the electrical connector and should be easy to see at that point.
Yeah I have the older style AM/FM radio, I didn't try just yanking on them though. I had a 1976 Caddy with a similar radio (8-track player) that had allen screws holding the knobs on so I was looking for something similar. I want to swap the radio out for something modern but part of me kinda likes it. I might just install an AUX cable and leave the radio where it is.....

So how is the dash pad removed? I'm guessing there are two screws on each side by the doors, a few in the defroster vent, and maybe one in the glovebox?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
Ski-me

The dash pad screws should be along the front edge, about 4 or 5 small ones, and then one on the side (passenger door open).

To remove the dash, you can also drop your glove box all the way down (empty before doing), and then pull off the Vent hose off the far end vent (just above glove box). The middle one is OK and nothing there you need to disconnect. Then, slightly lift the whole dash up, pull it out about 2" to get the metal clips to release, then drop it down again and pull the whole thing out.

But, you need to pull out the instrument cluster bezel out first. Kinda a combo of a few things.

Loosen Dash so it can be lifted up to
Remove Instrument cluster bezel to
then remove dash pad.

If you have tilt steering wheel, drop it down, put the truck shifter all the way down to low gear (foot on brake or ebrake). Makes it easier to get the instrument bezel out.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
SourTooth307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
The dash pad screws should be along the front edge, about 4 or 5 small ones, and then one on the side (passenger door open).

To remove the dash, you can also drop your glove box all the way down (empty before doing), and then pull off the Vent hose off the far end vent (just above glove box). The middle one is OK and nothing there you need to disconnect. Then, slightly lift the whole dash up, pull it out about 2" to get the metal clips to release, then drop it down again and pull the whole thing out.

But, you need to pull out the instrument cluster bezel out first. Kinda a combo of a few things.

Loosen Dash so it can be lifted up to
Remove Instrument cluster bezel to
then remove dash pad.

If you have tilt steering wheel, drop it down, put the truck shifter all the way down to low gear (foot on brake or ebrake). Makes it easier to get the instrument bezel out.
Thanks. Yeah no tilt wheel but also no A/C so I have no vents in the dash. My glovebox actually flips all the way down by itself. I fixed it using one of those big black paper clips. How is it supposed to be held to prevent it from dumping all my stuff on the floor?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

there is a lip on the top of the box it catches when dropping out
undo the wire harness,speedo cable
remove the screw on the shifter colum(small philips) undoes indicater needle
top right cluster bulb may have a optic cable stretched to the ashtray
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
SourTooth307

Yeah mine seems to be missing the needle for the shifter. I'm betting it's just disconnected.