The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
Scott2.0

1985 C10 Value?

Hi guys, this is a great site! I've been lurking for a while and picked up a bunch of good information. I'm now actively looking for a truck and am having a hard time determining what's a fair price as they are all over the place.

Anyone care to take a stab at what this clean, rust-free '85 SWB Silverado with a new 383 stroker and 700r4 would be worth? I'm told that everything works and that the truck is in excellent condition.

Last edited by Scott2.0; 02-13-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
crashz

Re: 1985 C10 Value?

Its really subjective. For square body lovers, we value these trucks more than the average person.

Location plays a major role too. Me, from the northeast, would value a rust free truck much higher than someone from the southwest, as they are very rare here, and not so much there.

I guess, if its really clean, and the drivetrain is smooth and strong, maybe $4000 - $5000?
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashz View Post
Its really subjective. For square body lovers, we value these trucks more than the average person.

Location plays a major role too. Me, from the northeast, would value a rust free truck much higher than someone from the southwest, as they are very rare here, and not so much there.

I guess, if its really clean, and the drivetrain is smooth and strong, maybe $4000 - $5000?
Thanks for the reply. That's about what I was thinking. This guy is asking $8500 so I haven't even gone to see it.

Here's the link: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4882989471.html (mods, if that isn't allowed, I apologize, please delete).
Old 02-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

C20 trucks are much less in demand than C10 trucks because the extra weight makes them gas hogs. 8-10 mpg city would be doing good, although the 700R4 would help, as would the 383 engine if it was truly new and not rebuilt. Also, 2WD is less popular than 4WD. Also, 3/4 ton parts often cost more than 1/2 ton parts (e.g. brakes, suspension, etc.)

Unless you really need the capacity of a C20 I would look for a C10. The most popular truck is a 1987 4wd K10 shortbed (fuel injected.) I have had 3 C20 squares and I really did not need the extra capacity most of the time.

I don't think there will be a lot of people who want that truck - not that it is not nice, just not a popular configuration. So, I would wait for the price to come down. $3-4K would be a fair price in my book, but I would still pass on it. In the rust belt the asking price would be closer to reality.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

BTW - how does he get that non-stock 383 through emissions? Does he not register it in Maricopa or Pima county? I get an anal exam when I take my totally stock 454 83 through emissions in Pima.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
C20 trucks are much less in demand than C10 trucks because the extra weight makes them gas hogs. 8-10 mpg city would be doing good, although the 700R4 would help, as would the 383 engine if it was truly new and not rebuilt. Also, 2WD is less popular than 4WD. Also, 3/4 ton parts often cost more than 1/2 ton parts (e.g. brakes, suspension, etc.)

Unless you really need the capacity of a C20 I would look for a C10. The most popular truck is a 1987 4wd K10 shortbed (fuel injected.) I have had 3 C20 squares and I really did not need the extra capacity most of the time.

I don't think there will be a lot of people who want that truck - not that it is not nice, just not a popular configuration. So, I would wait for the price to come down. $3-4K would be a fair price in my book, but I would still pass on it. In the rust belt the asking price would be closer to reality.
Great info thanks. I'm embarrassed to ask this, but that truck is a C20? How can you tell? A 1/2 ton is all I need and I thought that's what I was looking at. Either way, it sounds like it's priced way high.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Scott2.0

Quote:
BTW - how does he get that non-stock 383 through emissions? Does he not register it in Maricopa or Pima county? I get an anal exam when I take my totally stock 454 83 through emissions in Pima.
Damn good question. It has to be Maricopa. It's the same way up here though.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
Great info thanks. I'm embarrassed to ask this, but that truck is a C20? How can you tell? A 1/2 ton is all I need and I thought that's what I was looking at. Either way, it sounds like it's priced way high.
The truck you are looking at is a c10.

5 lug swb = 1/2 ton.

Tucsonjwt will wake up in a few minutes and tell us what he was thinking...

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #9
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
The truck you are looking at is a c10.

5 lug swb = 1/2 ton.

Tucsonjwt will wake up in a few minutes and tell us what he was thinking...

Hey, it wasn't the newbie's fault! Nice. I'd be curious to know if that changes your valuation, tucsonjwt.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

these trucks its hard to say. Id go look at it in person. IF the truck is mint body and runs perfect this is worth more than your average. I find that I need to really look at a truck to find its value if it moves you $8500 worth its worth it if its only $6500 then offer that Id rather look at something and make a fair offer than to discount an insane price until I se why its priced as it is

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #11
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
these trucks its hard to say. Id go look at it in person. IF the truck is mint body and runs perfect this is worth more than your average. I find that I need to really look at a truck to find its value if it moves you $8500 worth its worth it if its only $6500 then offer that Id rather look at something and make a fair offer than to discount an insane price until I se why its priced as it is
That's a good point and suggestion. I just don't want to waste my time or his and I already have a feeling we're going to be too far apart given his starting price. It looks like a solid truck so I may go look at it though.

It's still tough to get a handle on what these go for. I've seen both rust buckets and nicely maintained originals listed for under $5k. Without knowing what they actually sell for I'm at a bit of a loss. They are sweet though and that's tough to put a price on.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:08 AM   #12
andrewmp6

A short bed was only on a 1/2 ton unless someone shortened the frame.And like said also count the lug nuts that will give it away also.As far as price 5k to 7k would be a good ball park on it.The bumper impact things the driver side looks bent back a tiny bit like it hit something.If you do buy it i would take that header wrap off all that stuff does is make the headers rust out faster.And maybe replace the carpet it looks like its seen better days.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:32 AM   #13
donut

Would I give 8500? Not unless I won the lottery, then again, I got into these trucks cause they were inexpensive...To some, may be worth it, me no.

Tried to blow up the dyno sheets, but looks like the graph had water spilled on it, and can't read the builder. Doesn't say who built the trans.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #14
cooperhw

Quote:
Damn good question. It has to be Maricopa. It's the same way up here though.
Naw, he's probably like me and has another home in another county. Simply register it there and the tags and insurance stuff goes to that address. Like having a second home in Iowa. You pick where you register what vehicle. I have a couple registered in Apache county where I keep them. No emissions.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #15
tucsonjwt

I sit corrected. Reading the title might have helped.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #16
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
A short bed was only on a 1/2 ton unless someone shortened the frame.And like said also count the lug nuts that will give it away also.As far as price 5k to 7k would be a good ball park on it.The bumper impact things the driver side looks bent back a tiny bit like it hit something.If you do buy it i would take that header wrap off all that stuff does is make the headers rust out faster.And maybe replace the carpet it looks like its seen better days.
You're saying there were no 1/2 ton short beds from the factory?
Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
That's a good point and suggestion. I just don't want to waste my time or his and I already have a feeling we're going to be too far apart given his starting price. It looks like a solid truck so I may go look at it though.

It's still tough to get a handle on what these go for. I've seen both rust buckets and nicely maintained originals listed for under $5k. Without knowing what they actually sell for I'm at a bit of a loss. They are sweet though and that's tough to put a price on.
Im also going to say this Ive bought and sold many vehicles including a 1972 ElCamino that looked like a total turd.. I listed it for $5000 and got many tire kickers and ridiculous offers for scrap price. I mentioned in the ad that the car had a jegs crate motor and a rebuilt trans , most of the original parts, a new wiring harness , all new brakes from booster to shoes and the replacement floor pans. I kept the ad up in various forms for six months before a guy came over and looked at it all and said to me the best he could do was $4500.
This guy was a car guy and knew what he was buying.. four months later he sent me a picture of the car ready for paint, and that's where it is today.
I have an 82 2wd that is a four time show winner that id let go for $8500 most wont take that for that price until they figure out it costs over $20K to build what I have. Meanwhile I just enjoy it when I can

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 02-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #18
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Naw, he's probably like me and has another home in another county. Simply register it there and the tags and insurance stuff goes to that address. Like having a second home in Iowa. You pick where you register what vehicle. I have a couple registered in Apache county where I keep them. No emissions.
Good point. Me being a pauper with only one home, I'd need it to pass in Maricopa or I'd be screwed.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
1774btcrew

While it looks nice I would say it is closer to a $5000 truck here in the Phoenix area. There are quite a few of these trucks still around here in pretty clean condition. If you really want one of these trucks just take your time until the truck that feels right shows up. Rushing will just lead to regret.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #20
Keith Seymore

Quote:
You're saying there were no 1/2 ton short beds from the factory?
He is saying short beds were only available as 1/2 ton.

No 3/4 or one ton swb from the factory.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #21
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
He is saying short beds were only available as 1/2 ton.

No 3/4 or one ton swb from the factory.

K
I'm an idiot. I read his statement wrong. Understood now. So if it's a swb, it's a half ton unless later built up or if a factory 3/4 or full ton was cut.

Last edited by Scott2.0; 02-14-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #22
tucsonjwt

I think Rusty has it right. It all depends on what your ultimate goal is. A daily driver should probably not be a big old square truck unless you don't care about gas mileage, or you get a truck like Keith's which has good fuel economy. Even then, it will still cost a lot of money over time to keep it reliable, like any vehicle.

Just driving an old truck once in a while will also have its problems, like the carburetor and fuel system loading up with varnish and causing problems.

If you just need a big old truck for some reason, or you really like a hopped up engine, the disregard all of this - along with previous posts above.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #23
Scott2.0

Quote:
I think Rusty has it right. It all depends on what your ultimate goal is. A daily driver should probably not be a big old square truck unless you don't care about gas mileage, or you get a truck like Keith's which has good fuel economy. Even then, it will still cost a lot of money over time to keep it reliable, like any vehicle.

Just driving an old truck once in a while will also have its problems, like the carburetor and fuel system loading up with varnish and causing problems.

If you just need a big old truck for some reason, or you really like a hopped up engine, the disregard all of this - along with previous posts above.
The goal is to have an occasional driver that's fun, makes cool V-8 sounds, can handle the occasional Home Depot run and can tow quads that I can do some mild tinkering on as needs arise. For some reason I've become enamored with these rigs. I'm sure you guys get that.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #24
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
I've become enamored with these rigs. I'm sure you guys get that.
Nah we wouldn't know a thing abut such happenings

I hate cancer!!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:57 PM   #25
andrewmp6

Yeah scott gm didn't make a short bed 3/4 or 1 ton tell the 90s and they was extended cab or crew cab trucks.I would keep looking and find a nice factory truck with light upgrades of any.Don't shy away from something that needs some work or paint or interior work.If you get it cheap enough you can have the problems fixed if you can't do it yourself.The great thing about these trucks they are simple made and not hard to work on.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote