The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #1
ekgguy

What should I upgrade my I6 distributor with?

I read the thread that SHIFTY did a few years ago regarding upgrading the distributor to an HEI. That seems pretty straight-forward. I was wondering if there is anything better out there now than the HEI as an upgrade?

I want to make the I6 run as good as possible while I am amassing parts for the LS change-over and doing body work.

What is the latest and greatest? Right now it has the original points distributor.

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=672655

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
EARNHARDT#3

Re: What should I upgrade my I6 distributor with?

Nothing has changed. Some will say HEI. Some will say pertronix. Personally I prefer HEI because in case of a failure you can get parts off the shelf anywhere easily vs. having to find a replacement Pertronix unit.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
Custom/Ten

I'm runnin an hei dizzy from an 80 250 on my 72 250. Basically a bolt on and cheap too, just needed to run a new power wire, get some 8mm wires also from an 80, and regap the plugs. I really like it, I don't see how you could make it any easier than that. I went with the 80s timing too. Got the dizzy and wires from advance, something like 100 bucks. Don't use their stranded wire btw, that stuffs junk, IMO anyway.
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
rdgt67

Was the 80's dizzy have a coil on the cap? I like the price from ato zone but my 70 250 is an external coil.
rdgt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Custom/Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgt67 View Post
Was the 80's dizzy have a coil on the cap? I like the price from ato zone but my 70 250 is an external coil.
Yea it's coil in cap 65000 v I think, my dizzy came with the coil. You gotta remove old coil and Run the power straight to the dizzy
Old 05-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
Custom/Ten

I'll get you a pic if I have some time kinda bust right now
Old 05-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
rdgt67

Thanks. Did you have an external coil? Is it easy to wire around?
Old 05-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #8
Custom/Ten

Yes, and yes, super easy, way less complicated than these online walk troughs sound lol
Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
rdgt67

I sent you a pm. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:59 PM   #10
Custom/Ten

Hey man, started to send you a long pm earlier and phone died on the last sentence lol. We'll get you sorted out in the morning. I'll get you some pics and part numbers. Whatever ya need man.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #11
Custom/Ten

Here's a pic from the day I got my truck, factory setup, external coil, I beleive these run about 15000 v, blah blah someone correct me if I'm wrong. Factory gap was 35Name:  image.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  77.1 KB FYI I heard the coil in cap hei is to big to fit with ac so if you do have ac just go ahead and stop me.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:01 AM   #12
RichardJ

What?

All points distributors have an external coil.
1975 was the first year of the HEI and the I6 used an HEI with external coil. I think it was in '77, the I6 was given the taller cap with built in coil.
The first HEI I had in my 292 was one with the internal coil. The caps are not interchangeable because the locator notch is in a different place.
When I was designing and building the AC compressor bracket, the height I chose, dictated the external coil so I could remove the cap, without loosening the compressor belt.

That first HEI was installed in the early '90s and both have been running with the original wiring with the ballast resistor in place and unmolested. I did remove the yellow (on most) wire from the "R" terminal of the starter solenoid.

In 1975, Chevy said to gap all the HEI plugs at .060". By 1980, everyone realized that instead of changing points every 10k miles, they then had to change the plug wires every 10k miles.
If the introduction of the HEI did anything, it brought about a marked improvement in the quality of plug wires.
By 1990, Chevy called for plug gaps of .035" for most HEI engines.

New plugs will fire at around 12k Volts in most engines. As the plugs get older and the electrodes wear the required voltage rises. At higher voltages there is a tendency for misfires and spark scatter.
With a .060" gap you have an even higher voltage requirement and an increased occurrence of spark scatter.
By reducing the HEI ignition plug gap, Chevy was able to reduce emissions and a small increase in fuel mileage.

.035" plug gaps have worked fine in my 292 for many years.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #13
Custom/Ten

What? Is your point, I'm just trying to make sure he doesn't buy a an 80s cap in coil if he's got a compressor, it will be in the way of the massive cap. That's a pretty motor ya got there!

Last edited by Custom/Ten; 05-18-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #14
Custom/Ten

Ok most of what Richard said is true but if I understood him correctly he kept a resistance wire with an hei, everything I've ever read says to remove the resistance wire. I removed mine and advise you do the same. The resistance wire is there to allow you 12 v at startup then it drops voltage as to not burn up the old points style ignition. Newer hei ignition is designed to run off 12v all off the time so it would be a bad idea to leave in that resistance wire and he is the first person I have ever heard to leave it in. Maybe I misunderstood him. I'm going to suggest you remove all old wiring.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #15
Custom/Ten

Ok I'm gonna give you a quick walkthrough on how to put a 1980 hei from a 250 on your truck. Between mine and shiftys I think you'll get it figured out.

Here's a parts list

1980 stock distributor for a 250, you should be able to get one at any parts store, make sure you buy the one that comes with the cap and the coil. part number t1697 at advance $129.99 online right now

Spark plug wires for a 1980, you can get a precut set from advance part number 96601 $27.99 or cut your own, they are 8mm wires

10 ft 12 gauge REAL automotive wire! (A little extra in case you mess up, wire is cheap) that stuff they sell at parts stores is just speaker wire. You want oil and gas resistant wire or what I went with, gxl wire from wire barn. About $10.

A gm 56 series connector (I recommend you get a five pack in case you screw one up)

(Optional) new spark plugs for YOUR 250. This is a good time to replace you plugs, I recommend AC Delco platinum plugs, I gapped mine to .040, I think shiftys recommendation was .045. Your choice.

Last edited by Custom/Ten; 05-18-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #16
Custom/Ten

Set your engine to top dead center and remove all this,Name:  image.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  38.8 KB also remove old plugs now if your swapping those out. The resistance wire you see is connected to your coil, the starter, and goes to the firewall on the driver side. It's all wrapped up in harness tape.

Last edited by Custom/Ten; 05-18-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #17
Custom/Ten

Now gap and install spark plugs, install new distributor turned in whatever direction you want as long as your pointing at number 1 when your at top dead center, your balancer should read 0 on the timing tab.the bottom of the dizzy shaft should be touching the block, and the dizzy will twist a little bit as it drops in. If you have a 1/4in gap then take it back out and rotate the shaft a tooth so it drops all the way in. Don't forget your gasket.

Once the dizzys in run your wire from the dizzy to the fire wall, you don't need the wires to the starter anymore. Gm 56 series connector goes to a terminal that has power (12v) durning cranking and in the key on position. Red wire for power, green for tach.

After you have that all hooked up run your plug wires, set you timing, and your good to go.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #18
Custom/Ten

Forgot to mention these dizzy terminal I got from lmc for 10 bucks, they are the same as the v-8 hei. The red is power, the brown goes to my green tach wire.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #19
Custom/Ten

I think between me and shifty you have everything you need, only thing I wasent clear on from his is that you no longer need to run wire to the starter but maybe I just missed that while reading. His threads actually pretty awesome!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #20
Custom/Ten

I gotta head out now but feel free to ask any questions if I missed or was unclear on anything. If I messed anything up I'm sure someone will chime in, just be careful who ya listen to and make sure you get multiple opinions. Sometimes people tend to talk without knowing wtf theyre talking about or just have an outright brain fart. Not talkin trash because I've been guilty of it myself, everybody makes mistakes ya know so thats why I always say get multiple opinions. Good luck man, I know if you get er done you'll love it!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #21
Custom/Ten

Tried to edit this but was too late, don't have time to retype, READ THISName:  image.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  79.6 KB
Old 05-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #22
Custom/Ten

More pics for youName:  image.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 05-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #23
Custom/Ten

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  50.2 KB
Old 05-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #24
Custom/Ten

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  59.0 KB
Old 05-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #25
GRX

Running points in my 250. Works just fine when the parts are all good. Reason so many see a vast improvement going HEI is because they are replacing worn out parts.
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote