The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
aod92

Ridetech suspension problem.

I just set the bed on my truck after doing the wood floor and the ridetech cross bar that the coilovers mount to are hitting the wood floor. It's making the floor bow up in the center. I was thinking of adding spacers under the cross bar to lower it but I'm afraid it's gonna make my truck sit too high in the rear. I'm starting to think this kit was designed for a steel floor truck. You guys have any suggestions besides calling ridetech Monday morning. 😩
Attached Images

aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
aod92

Re: Ridetech suspension problem.

Attached Images

Old 01-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
aod92

Attached Images

Old 01-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
RodnRudy

How thick of a spacer do you need for clearance? You can lower the spring seat on the coil over shock to lower your ride height back down where it was assuming you have that much adjustment. You will, however, lose some compression travel.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodnRudy View Post
How thick of a spacer do you need for clearance? You can lower the spring seat on the coil over shock to lower your ride height back down where it was assuming you have that much adjustment. You will, however, lose some compression travel.
I'm thinking about a 1/4" maybe a bit more. How do I lower the spring seat?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
RodnRudy

Support the rear of the truck on jack stands on the frame letting the rear end hang. There is a collar that the spring rests on on the bottom of the shock. There is a bolt that clamps the collar tight on the shock, loosen that bolt and unscrew the collar 1/4 to 1/2 inch, tighten the collar bolt. That will let your suspension collapse more to regain your ride height. You don't show a pic of the lower part of the shock so I'm going off of memory. Did you get a spanner wrench with the coil over kit? You use that to unscrew the collar.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodnRudy View Post
Support the rear of the truck on jack stands on the frame letting the rear end hang. There is a collar that the spring rests on on the bottom of the shock. There is a bolt that clamps the collar tight on the shock, loosen that bolt and unscrew the collar 1/4 to 1/2 inch, tighten the collar bolt. That will let your suspension collapse more to regain your ride height. You don't show a pic of the lower part of the shock so I'm going off of memory. Did you get a spanner wrench with the coil over kit? You use that to unscrew the collar.
Ok, I know how to do that. Thought you ment to relocate the coilover somehow. I'm gonna give ridetech a call Monday morning to see what they suggest too.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
swamp rat

You could try the spacer like you say, then drill a couple more holes inward, it would increase the angle of the shocks tho.

I know i have see shock relocater's for the bottom of the shocks on these trucks, nor sure who makes them tho.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
GEARBOXGARAGE

There's very little clearance under the bed wood, even near the stock frame rail. We made our own coil over set-up for the rear (and tried a release on here 6 months before ridetech released theirs) and had rubbing issues just on the bolt heads that replaced the factory rivets for the coilover crossmember. When I saw the first pics of the ridetech kit, I though there was no way that their cross member is going to clear the bottom side of the bedwood after having issues with just the added thickness of flat washers and bolt heads. There's only about a 1/8" of clearance over the factory frame rails at the high point where the factory shock crossmember is, just enough to clear the rivets that tie in the crossmember. Luckily for me, the body lines on my bed were about a 1/4" low, so I made some spacers out of billet aluminum to shim the entire bed up to match the body lines of the cab.
Attached Images

GEARBOXGARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARBOXGARAGE View Post
There's very little clearance under the bed wood, even near the stock frame rail. We made our own coil over set-up for the rear (and tried a release on here 6 months before ridetech released theirs) and had rubbing issues just on the bolt heads that replaced the factory rivets for the coilover crossmember. When I saw the first pics of the ridetech kit, I though there was no way that their cross member is going to clear the bottom side of the bedwood after having issues with just the added thickness of flat washers and bolt heads. There's only about a 1/8" of clearance over the factory frame rails at the high point where the factory shock crossmember is, just enough to clear the rivets that tie in the crossmember. Luckily for me, the body lines on my bed were about a 1/4" low, so I made some spacers out of billet aluminum to shim the entire bed up to match the body lines of the cab.
That looks really nice. I called ridetech and they suggested putting spacers under the coilover cross member. It looks like I only need about a 1/4" so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm doing this now with the bed on so its a pita! Wish I would of realized it before I had everything bolted up.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
GEARBOXGARAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod92 View Post
That looks really nice. I called ridetech and they suggested putting spacers under the coilover cross member. It looks like I only need about a 1/4" so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm doing this now with the bed on so its a pita! Wish I would of realized it before I had everything bolted up.
Thanks. Yeah, any amount you space it down, you should be able to make up the difference in the coil adjustment collar.
GEARBOXGARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:02 AM   #12
andrewmp6

Ride tech does have a forum you wanna post your pictures on it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Ridetech suspension problem.

No limit's shock relocator is another option.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #14
aod92

I've got it all figured out and it's back on the ground. Just had to add some 1/4" spacers and adjusted the collar on my coilover for the ride height. Thanks guys
Old 02-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #15
chase@ridetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod92 View Post
I've got it all figured out and it's back on the ground. Just had to add some 1/4" spacers and adjusted the collar on my coilover for the ride height. Thanks guys
Its been a few weeks since I have been on here, but if you are having any issues yet please don't hesitate to call me. 812 481 4736 is my direct line.

chase
chase@ridetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #16
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase@ridetech View Post
Its been a few weeks since I have been on here, but if you are having any issues yet please don't hesitate to call me. 812 481 4736 is my direct line.

chase
Thanks Chase. I gave you guys a call last week and we have it all figured out. Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
No limit's shock relocator is another option.
Their shock relocation brackets are not built to support coil-overs.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote