The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
mctattooer

got in wreck cause steering colum came apart

Well guys coming home from work yesterday on 175 atlanta traffic going 60mph the lower steering bearing came apart resulting in steering arm coming off. I went across 3 lanes of traffic and hit a bmw and hit the concrete wall. Spent the night in hospital. I need a front drivers fender a grill a bumper and steering columm. I found a local steering column out of a 85 c10 will. That work in my 69?
mctattooer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
chewychevy67

Re: got in wreck cause steering colum came apart

Glad you are ok. That does not sound like a good situation. just curious was this a stock column or aftermarket tilt?
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
chewychevy67

The 85 column is not a direct bolt in. Could probably work wit some fabricating.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
mctattooer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychevy67 View Post
Glad you are ok. That does not sound like a good situation. just curious was this a stock column or aftermarket tilt?
Stock colum was not fun tore some muscles in my left arm, not a pretty site
Old 03-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
chewychevy67

Take it easy and get well soon. I have never heard of a stock column doing that. I know some aftermarket tilt columns are poorly made that's why I asked.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
mctattooer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychevy67 View Post
Take it easy and get well soon. I have never heard of a stock column doing that. I know some aftermarket tilt columns are poorly made that's why I asked.
first time ive seen it too, found part laying under truck when wrecker picked up
Old 03-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
kwmech

I would really like to see what came apart. Sounds like some sort of major failure to completely loose control. Steering column is designed to still have sort of control in the event of failure. You can loose the lower bearing and the rag joint at the box and still retain some sort of control for a while.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
mctattooer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I would really like to see what came apart. Sounds like some sort of major failure to completely loose control. Steering column is designed to still have sort of control in the event of failure. You can loose the lower bearing and the rag joint at the box and still retain some sort of control for a while.
I will get you pics tommrow and n post here for you. When i popped hood you could see bolt and nut was still in place where shafts connect but shaft was unhooked and wobbley as crap, could tell some is missing lol.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
sboris

Glad your ok, and the others I assume. From the sounds of it, it's hard to imagine that's all you need for parts.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
mctattooer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Glad your ok, and the others I assume. From the sounds of it, it's hard to imagine that's all you need for parts.
Im amazed thats all i need too, tough truck is all i got to say bout that.. i got out expecting the worst but was suprized at the little damage to truck. And thanks for your concern. Im ok just in pain trucks in better shape than me haha
Old 03-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: got in wreck cause steering colum came apart

First glad your ok. That is the main thing. The truck as you know can, will be rebuilt better than before.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
mctattooer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
First glad your ok. That is the main thing. The truck as you know can, will be rebuilt better than before.
Thanx spent day searching for parts..
Old 03-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
Gromit

Losing steering has got to be the worst system of all to have go out on you.. I'd rather have the brakes go because at least there would be hope for a choice of what to steer toward and hit to stop.. in other words between that oncoming truck head on - or that chicken coop in somebody's yard; aim for the coop!

Three lanes of traffic - I hope you mean they were all going in the same direction as you and not head on -

There is a two lane road near my home with a long flat straightaway where people routinely seem to just want to naturally drive at 85.. so as you motor down that road the high speed oncoming traffic is just three feet away from your left shoulder and even doing 65 mph (no doubt with five cars buzzing angrily on your bumper) every time you feel that whoosh of the oncoming car going by it is a reminder that your closing speed is probably 150 mph... (and we've seen the NHTSA videos for 100+ mph crashes ...gulp).

NASA would have a checklist for a system as risky as this.. maybe to preserve board members we can come up with a steering system checklist and prevent this from happening to anyone else.. Glad you wrote to tell the forum and glad you are okay to tell the tale.

As far as your question - I have been tempted by those IdidIt columns - because the NOS and limited repop GM steering column parts seem to be really expensive for what you get and relatively hard to source - also the sloppy shifter syndrome seems all too common and hard to fix - so if it were me I would take the opportunity to try the IdidIt product.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:04 AM   #14
GTSideSwipe

Man I hate seeing posts like this. Its great that you're ok though cause these trucks can always be fixed but us not so much. Hopefully your truck gets back on the road soon!
GTSideSwipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:34 AM   #15
El Dorado Jim

glad you are ok, weird that your steering failed like that
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:04 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I'm also glad to hear you weren't hurt worse or dead! Suddenly having excessive play at hiway speed is a thing few have experienced. Many know what getting in a truck and driving with sloppy steering is like and/or a truck that pulls in one direction or the other. You figure how to compensate and get on down the road. The darts are consistent and within a tolerable range (just from slightest wear movement). In this case, the compensation didn't do what was expected any better than going straight was working with the dart extreme. I imagine the bearing balls came out of the races after a long period of being dry?

I had a steering box coming loose with a cracked frame that sent me over into the car next to me on a multi-lane road on a Blazer I had. I was on my way home from 4 wheelin' which was when frame cracked and box started working loose. Off road in 4wd I couldn't tell. It felt funny once on the road and I stopped and checked it out best I could, being alone. I was aware of the sloppy steering and I was doing ok, but still had a problem. It went from perfectly normal to WTF? and back randomly. Both vehicles "buffed out".. I should have parked it and had it towed

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-09-2016 at 10:23 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #17
FlameOut

Wow, that really sucks. Had to be a scary few seconds. Glad you and everyone involved is okay. Hopefully you're able to get your truck back on the road

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #18
mcbassin
Still Learning

Glad you're okay! Sounds scary! Did you get any pictures of where the failure happened? If nothing else, you can warn others of potential problem in the future.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #19
mctattooer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
here is pics the part may or may not came from truck was at scene of accident..Name:  12804644_601833686639376_5115039272016823187_n.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  12821515_601833729972705_4210355878026494679_n.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  12809617_601833776639367_8386021838856871737_n.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  106.0 KB
Old 03-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #20
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctattooer View Post
Well guys coming home from work yesterday on 175 atlanta traffic going 60mph the lower steering bearing came apart resulting in steering arm coming off. I went across 3 lanes of traffic and hit a bmw and hit the concrete wall. Spent the night in hospital. I need a front drivers fender a grill a bumper and steering columm. I found a local steering column out of a 85 c10 will. That work in my 69?
Happy to hear you survived it. Even enough you're looking for parts today.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #21
Mrturner1

Good to hear you're ok. I can't believe it wasn't worse, what a terrible feeling to loose steering. And the minimal damage to you're truck considering what happened, lucky guy. Hope you find everything you need
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #22
cleszkie

That part you found on the road is from another vehicle, and probably not steering related. However, I see why your steering failed. Yes, the lower bearing in the steering column is gone, but that would not cause loss of control. The coupling at the end of the steering column came apart because the bolt that is being used to secure the lower shaft to the splined end of the steering column is too small in diameter to engage the "cut out" slot in the splined shaft. When the proper size bolt is used, there is practically no way for the coupling to come apart, even when the bolt is loose. You have to completely remove the bolt to separate the two sections. Your problem was the result of a sketchy fix on the coupler. Its a good thing nobody came after you with a lawsuit, because you would have been 100% liable.

Last edited by cleszkie; 03-09-2016 at 02:13 PM.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #23
mctattooer

Thanx guys ill get it fixed, im a paint and bodyman in shop so just gotta find some parts
Old 03-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #24
mctattooer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
That part you found on the road is from another vehicle, and probably not steering related. However, I see why your steering failed. Yes, the lower bearing in the steering column is gone, but that would not cause loss of control. The coupling at the end of the steering column came apart because the bolt that is being used to secure the lower shaft to the splined end of the steering column is too small in diameter to engage the "cut out" slot in the splined shaft. When the proper size bolt is used, there is practically no way for the coupling to come apart, even when the bolt is loose. You have to completely remove the bolt to separate the two sections. Your problem was the result of a sketchy fix on the coupler.
Is there a pkace to buy a bearing kit for it and just get right size bolt? And would you happwn to know what size bolt i should use?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #25
cleszkie

Any shop like LMC, Brothers, etc. will carry the lower bearing. They will probably also carry the coupler/bolt kit. The bolt is actually a carriage bolt with a square shaft on one end that engages the coupler to keep the bolt from spinning while you tighten the nut on the other end. Everything should cost less than about $20.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote