The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2023, 11:12 PM   #1
MS66

Windshield wiper motor

What would cause the wiper motor in my '68 to operate in the wash mode (push button) only? Is that more common to be a switch, or motor issue?
MS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 08:40 AM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Windshield wiper motor

What are you observing that makes you ask this question? I don't see how the stock washer can work at all unless the wipers are moving, because the washer pump relies on the wiper motor movement to actually pump.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 08:52 AM   #3
MS66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
What are you observing that makes you ask this question? I don't see how the stock washer can work at all unless the wipers are moving, because the washer pump relies on the wiper motor movement to actually pump.
The wipers only move across the windshield when you hold the wash button in. The wipers do not move across the windshield in either of the two, lo/hi, operating positions.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:59 AM   #4
67 twins

Quote:
He didn't say anything about the washer working or not. I would assume from his question that the wipers only work when he pushes the switch (wash mode) and not when he twists the knob (wipers only)
My assumption would be that it's the switch but that's just a guess
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 09:02 AM   #5
dmjlambert

I think it is likely the switch is having problems. You would have to do some testing with a test light or multimeter to tell for sure. Here is a thread about testing. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413551

The back of the switch is swaged to hold it together. You can probably test it when removed from the truck with an ohm meter. It has 3 lugs on it, each of which should ground to the switch case when pushed or turned to certain positions. In low speed 2 of the lugs should conduct to the case, in high speed 1 of the lugs should conduct to case, and in how or high speed pushing the button should conduct the 3rd lug to ground.
Take the switch apart and clean it up with WD-40 or DEOXIT D5. Then put it back together.
Old 10-18-2023, 10:30 AM   #6
Zeke's Garage

Yep, +1 on all that.
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 03:53 PM   #7
Rust_never_sleeps

wiring diagram here: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=185856
Rust_never_sleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 06:53 PM   #8
dmjlambert

I'm afraid when talking about the wiper motor circuit specifically, most of the MANY diagrams in that thread have incorrect wiring in that area. You have to go specifically to post #344 of that thread. There may be other versions in that thread having the correct wiring for wiper motor, but most are incorrect. Unfortunately it would take a huge effort to clean out all the incorrect info in that thread. Here is a link that lands on post #344:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...27#post9186727

Last edited by dmjlambert; 10-18-2023 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:26 PM   #9
MS66

Quote:
I think it is likely the switch is having problems. You would have to do some testing with a test light or multimeter to tell for sure. Here is a thread about testing. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413551

The back of the switch is swaged to hold it together. You can probably test it when removed from the truck with an ohm meter. It has 3 lugs on it, each of which should ground to the switch case when pushed or turned to certain positions. In low speed 2 of the lugs should conduct to the case, in high speed 1 of the lugs should conduct to case, and in how or high speed pushing the button should conduct the 3rd lug to ground.
Take the switch apart and clean it up with WD-40 or DEOXIT D5. Then put it back together.
Took the switch out of the dash socket letting it hang under the dash just enough to poke out the bottom. Fiddling with the connector and got the wipers to work with the switch grounded to metal under dash. Did this several times. Pulled the switch out, cleaned it with WD-40, cycled it several times, blew out the residue with light air pressure. Lubed it with electronics lube. Plugged it back in, touched it to ground, wipers worked as they should. Did this several times. Wipers good. I'm thinking this is good, MUCH better than fiddling around under the dash killing my back to pull the wiper motor out (just to get nowhere fast).
Replaced the wiper switch. buttoned it all up. No wipers. Back to the same drill with the washer mode pushed in only. I came inside, I'll revisit that tomorrow. Thanks for the tips, although I didn't pull it apart to make it work. It seems like it was more something to do with the spade connections on the back of it than internal contacts. I have De-Oxit and Fader lube if I need to take it apart. I'm an old electronics nut too.

Quote:
I'm afraid when talking about the wiper motor circuit specifically, most of the MANY diagrams in that thread have incorrect wiring in that area. You have to go specifically to post #344 of that thread. There may be other versions in that thread having the correct wiring for wiper motor, but most are incorrect. Unfortunately it would take a huge effort to clean out all the incorrect info in that thread. Here is a link that lands on post #344:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...27#post9186727
Nice schematic!! Thanks.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:38 PM   #10
dmjlambert

Does your dash have new paint, particularly where the switch mounts in the hole? It's another possible thing, and pressing on the switch makes it contact ground.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:42 AM   #11
MS66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
He didn't say anything about the washer working or not. I would assume from his question that the wipers only work when he pushes the switch (wash mode) and not when he twists the knob (wipers only)
My assumption would be that it's the switch but that's just a guess
Your assumptions are correct sir. Has nothing to do with the washer itself, just while in the wash mode. I do believe it is the switch. Will figger it out tomorrow.

Quote:
Does your dash have new paint, particularly where the switch mounts in the hole? It's another possible thing, and pressing on the switch makes it contact ground.
No fresh paint. I'll figger it out tomorrow. Got to be something simple. I'm just proud the motor is operating. One less thing to deal with.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:12 AM   #12
MS66

Quote:
Ok, went back in there and noticed the alignment tang has something to do with grounding the switch. It had previously been in to, I saw it yesterday where it wasn't lined up just right and slightly hosed. I set the flat where it belongs in the flat in the top of the hole, tightened the 5/8 nut with an offset boxed end wrench, Voila! Grounded switch. Working like a new one for the time being. Thanks.

Last edited by MS66; 10-19-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:26 PM   #13
Rust_never_sleeps

interesting, I didn't see either the switch or motor connected to ground on the wiring diagram :shrug:
Old 10-19-2023, 10:12 PM   #14
MS66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps View Post
interesting, I didn't see either the switch or motor connected to ground on the wiring diagram :shrug:
Only18B at the cluster connector is grounded. I don't see the switch referenced in the schematic to see a ground, just the connector. Are you thinking these wiper switches aren't supposed to be grounded?
Old 10-19-2023, 10:23 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS66 View Post
Only18B at the cluster connector is grounded. I don't see the switch referenced in the schematic to see a ground, just the connector. Are you thinking these wiper switches aren't supposed to be grounded?

If the wiper switch isn't grounded the wiper will not work....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 10:54 PM   #16
MS66

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
If the wiper switch isn't grounded the wiper will not work....

LockDoc
Yessir, I know that. I pointed that out to the other fella, then asked if he thinks the switch isn't supposed to be grounded. Maybe I should have worded that differently. The switch is definitely grounded.

I've got my wipers all squared away now.
Thanks Leon.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:54 PM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Yessir, I know that. I pointed that out to the other fella, then asked if he thinks the switch isn't supposed to be grounded. Maybe I should have worded that differently. The switch is definitely grounded.

I've got my wipers all squared away now.
Thanks Leon.

No problem. I just read it differently....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 01:13 AM   #18
Rust_never_sleeps

Quote:
nah, clearly they are, because it runs hot to the motor, so would have to ground somewhere past the switch....and because you fixed yours that way :-D
I'm just annoyed I can't see it on the diagram
Old 10-20-2023, 10:11 AM   #19
Jason Banks

I have the exact same problem. Anyone have a theory about why it only works for the push? Does it somehow get ground that way, but not the normal way.

And then I found this thread:
https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=695112

Post 15 Vette Vette is a treasure....

I had tried a new switch and that didn't fix my problem. So I thought! I took the new switch back out and put the old one in.

After reading this thread, I decided I would clean the paint off to make sure the switch was grounding and check with a meter to make sure it was grounded. It was. But still not wipers.

Dug up the new switch and reinstalled. Yay, I have wipers now!
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 10:42 AM   #20
MS66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps View Post
nah, clearly they are, because it runs hot to the motor, so would have to ground somewhere past the switch....and because you fixed yours that way :-D
I'm just annoyed I can't see it on the diagram
Haha, I got ya. The only ground I see for 18B is past the cluster connector in the diagram. I'm guessing (??) that is the ground the wiper motor sees when the washer button is depressed?? Not sure. Sounds right though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I have the exact same problem. Anyone have a theory about why it only works for the push? Does it somehow get ground that way, but not the normal way.

And then I found this thread:
https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=695112

Post 15 Vette Vette is a treasure....

I had tried a new switch and that didn't fix my problem. So I thought! I took the new switch back out and put the old one in.

After reading this thread, I decided I would clean the paint off to make sure the switch was grounding and check with a meter to make sure it was grounded. It was. But still not wipers.

Dug up the new switch and reinstalled. Yay, I have wipers now!
Yep, good work! There are some good guys in here that know these trucks, Leon and Vettevet are a couple of them.
Until I made sure the switch was set in the pocket just right it wouldn't ground to the dash to get the wiper motor to run in wiper mode. Someone had already been in mine before so I couldn't tell exactly how the grounding spot was supposed to look, but there was a bare spot at the flat edge at the top of the hole that made the ground. It has been a long time since I've worked on anything like this, but it almost looks like when the switch hole was punched, the flat edge was slightly raised (extruded) to guarantee a good ground there. Someone else might know more about that.
As far as the wiper working when the washer button is depressed, I believe that ground we see in the schematic at the cluster connection is why it works when the button is held in.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:59 AM   #21
Jason Banks

Quote:
Until I made sure the switch was set in the pocket just right it wouldn't ground to the dash to get the wiper motor to run in wiper mode. Someone had already been in mine before so I couldn't tell exactly how the grounding spot was supposed to look, but there was a bare spot at the flat edge at the top of the hole that made the ground. It has been a long time since I've worked on anything like this, but it almost looks like when the switch hole was punched, the flat edge was slightly raised (extruded) to guarantee a good ground there. Someone else might know more about that.
As far as the wiper working when the washer button is depressed, I believe that ground we see in the schematic at the cluster connection is why it works when the button is held in.
I really needed to clean that paint off good. My truck was a total repaint, I hadn't stripped the factory paint off the dash like I did the rest of the truck. Then it had Epoxy primer, 2k primer, base coat, 4 coats of clear.

Further exacerbating the problem was, my truck is 1968 and I changed to later style dash bezel and extended the wiper wires over to where the choke was, so the hole is not the same shape as the real wiper switch hole.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:07 AM   #22
MS66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I really needed to clean that paint off good. My truck was a total repaint, I hadn't stripped the factory paint off the dash like I did the rest of the truck. Then it had Epoxy primer, 2k primer, base coat, 4 coats of clear.

Further exacerbating the problem was, my truck is 1968 and I changed to later style dash bezel and extended the wiper wires over to where the choke was, so the hole is not the same shape as the real wiper switch hole.