The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #26
NC67Chev

Re: Source for new steering gear box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyC10 View Post
Whats the difference in the 69-72 Power Steering boxes as apposed to a 67-68 steering box? (Wondering about putting power steering on my 67)
I upgraded my '67 to power steering several months ago, and I'm loving it. You will likely find that there is no dimple on your frame to accomodate the box, but there are a couple of options to get around that.

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #27
DustyC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC67Chev View Post
I upgraded my '67 to power steering several months ago, and I'm loving it. You will likely find that there is no dimple on your frame to accomodate the box, but there are a couple of options to get around that.
Ah, I figured it was something like that, guess I'll start doing some searching to see what guys are doing to solve that.
DustyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #28
NC67Chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyC10 View Post
Ah, I figured it was something like that, guess I'll start doing some searching to see what guys are doing to solve that.
The solutions are basically two fold:
1) Heat the frame and dimple it with a BFH. This is how I ended up doing mine, and would recommend it over #2.
2) Use some form of spacer (1/4" is what you need) to make room for the box. I initially tried this, but did not like how the steering felt. It throws the sttering off center. The steering just felt a little twitchy to me. Some people sell brackets that you can use that will work great for getting the box to fit, but the steering will still be off center.

The other two things that have to be addressed; 1) The PS box will hit the radiator support, so you will have to trim that just a little bit and 2) The left bumper bracket will interfere with the PS box, so you will need to notch that a little also. Lots of people on here have done this conversion, so you will be able to find a lot of opinions/info to work with. Good luck!

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #29
DustyC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC67Chev View Post
The solutions are basically two fold:
1) Heat the frame and dimple it with a BFH. This is how I ended up doing mine, and would recommend it over #2.
2) Use some form of spacer (1/4" is what you need) to make room for the box. I initially tried this, but did not like how the steering felt. It throws the sttering off center. The steering just felt a little twitchy to me. Some people sell brackets that you can use that will work great for getting the box to fit, but the steering will still be off center.

The other two things that have to be addressed; 1) The PS box will hit the radiator support, so you will have to trim that just a little bit and 2) The left bumper bracket will interfere with the PS box, so you will need to notch that a little also. Lots of people on here have done this conversion, so you will be able to find a lot of opinions/info to work with. Good luck!
Easy enough... I am getting use to making a project out of little things... cab rust repair turned into a whole floor... motor swap turned into an LSx swap... finding a bed turned into taking the LWB and making it a SWB... but when it is done, it will have my touches on just about everything.
DustyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #30
CentralCoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyuke View Post
Well... I was talking about a new '77 unit from the auto parts store. I think they're about $80-$90.
For $80ish it's not new, it's probably an overseas reman from who knows where, which I've read many horror stories about and a few good ones in my search. I've seen some other reman stuff from the local parts stores (aka foreign importers) and don't feel like taking any risks. Every time I try to save money I seem to regret it later.

That NOS GM link I posted would be a good idea though for someone converting a manual truck, as you'd need new lines anyways. Not sure about the input shaft diameter change. Maybe the guy was wrong, I didn't read that anywhere on here.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 07-12-2010 at 07:19 PM.
CentralCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #31
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster View Post
...That NOS GM link I posted would be a good idea though for someone converting a manual truck, as you'd need new lines anyways. Not sure about the input shaft diameter change. Maybe the guy was wrong, I didn't read that anywhere on here.
I run a Red-Head (just installed my second one last year...
...after 12 years of daily driving) and they are a top drawer
rebuilder who really know their stuff.
IMHO, call them, tell them you chosen Wes to buy from
but would like their help with choosing what you need.
1-800-808-1148

BTW- "NOS" is not same as "New GM".
GM often sells the GM branding rights to aftermarket suppliers,
so you would never really know who built the unit nor their track
record.
Personally, I would rather see both Wes and Red-Head benefit
from the sale and you would get much more personalized service.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #32
CentralCoaster

Well, I said NOS, that guy just said he bought out GM's stash. But yeah, I've seen that happen on other parts.

I did order from Wes's company online, didn't receive any sort of email confirmation though or tracking # or even a bill on my credit card. Will have to remember to call them tomorrow to see whatsup, or if there was a magical OK button I missed.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #33
CentralCoaster

Arrgh! Ordered on the 8th and it's shipping today finally.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 07-14-2010 at 01:50 PM.
CentralCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #34
CentralCoaster

Put the redhead box in last night. So far so good!!!