The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
NC_John

Need Some Help Finding Correct Interior Parts!

My new toy needs some "freshening up" in the cabin. I can find everything to match except for the correct seat cover and floor mat. The truck is a '70 C-10 Custom with the "Custom Comfort and Convenience Equipment" package ($96.85 in 1970!) which included RPO 607 - Blue Custom Cloth Trim.

I don't know how rare that RPO code is but none of the usual suspects for repro parts have covers for this seat.

The other thing I am having a hard time finding is the vinyl floor cover in blue. All I can find is black. If I can't find the correct blue floor cover, I'll just carpet it, but it'd be nice to keep it as original.

Does anybody have any ideas where I might be able to find these two parts? (and yeah, that Camaro steering wheel is on the short list for replacement!)

Thanks!

NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
MidLifer

Re: Need Some Help Finding Correct Interior Parts!

Have you tried SMS Auto Fabrics for your seat cloth? If it exists, they will probably have it. You can buy the fabric from them in bulk and have a local shop stitch the cover for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Did you try brothers?

If they don't have that shade of blue, you may consider switching to black. You've already got a fair amount of black in your interior already. My truck came with a one year only '69 dark blue. I couldn't find replacements and switched to black, and I'm very happy
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
SS Tim

Neither the Z62 cloth/vinyl seat covers nor the color keyed vinyl floor mats are reproduced. So owners of the earlier Custom trucks and the later Custom Deluxe trucks need to find other solutions.
SMS may have the fabric but be aware the original cover is intricate and not at all like your exisiting replacement cover. Basically it is a vinyl seat cover with cloth inserts on the two seating surfaces and a scrolled vinyl center divider panel. The clip is from the 70 brochure and shows the Z62 interior with the optional carpet.
The floor matting is a different problem that pretty much involves dying a black mat or going to carpet. The earlier Custom trucks offered carpet as a option with the Z62 package but later 71-72 Custom Deluxe trucks did not.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
tsali39

I too, would go with the Black!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Did you try brothers?

If they don't have that shade of blue, you may consider switching to black. You've already got a fair amount of black in your interior already. My truck came with a one year only '69 dark blue. I couldn't find replacements and switched to black, and I'm very happy
Posted via Mobile Device
Just checked them (and ordered a catalog). No joy with the seat cover OR the floormat.

I think I'll go with carpet instead of going to a black rubber floor..... The only black in the truck is the steering wheel (which is going), the instrument panel cluster and the heater box.... I'll clean the seat and put a towel or something over the worn section and just run it while I figure out what I want to do.

thanks!

Last edited by NC_John; 08-02-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsali39 View Post
I too, would go with the Black!
Here in NC? With no AC?

You crazy man!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
Have you tried SMS Auto Fabrics for your seat cloth? If it exists, they will probably have it. You can buy the fabric from them in bulk and have a local shop stitch the cover for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
just looked and didn't see it.... good idea though.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Neither the Z62 cloth/vinyl seat covers nor the color keyed vinyl floor mats are reproduced. So owners of the earlier Custom trucks and the later Custom Deluxe trucks need to find other solutions.
SMS may have the fabric but be aware the original cover is intricate and not at all like your exisiting replacement cover. Basically it is a vinyl seat cover with cloth inserts on the two seating surfaces and a scrolled vinyl center divider panel. The clip is from the 70 brochure and shows the Z62 interior with the optional carpet.
The floor matting is a different problem that pretty much involves dying a black mat or going to carpet. The earlier Custom trucks offered carpet as a option with the Z62 package but later 71-72 Custom Deluxe trucks did not.
That is a bunch of information there- take a look at the pic though- its a basic cloth seat, cloth on the seating surfaces, vinyl everywhere else. I have no reason to think its not the original or that its been recovered at any point (I actually pulled it out of the truck tonight)- I'm hoping my build sheet is in there somewhere.....

The Z62 code is correct for my truck but the seat is specifically listed as RPO 607 (Blue Custom Cloth Trim).

thanks for the info!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Here in NC? With no AC?

You crazy man!
People don't usually think of Utah as being hot, but it really can be. We're in the desert.

Anyway, with good ceramic tint and a front window shade, it is more than manageable.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
NC_John

Quote:
People don't usually think of Utah as being hot, but it really can be. We're in the desert.

Anyway, with good ceramic tint and a front window shade, it is more than manageable.
Dude- I'm glad you posted that pic. That looks AWESOME! With one pic you have completely turned me around on switching the interior color to black. Post more pics- that looks great!

Last edited by NC_John; 08-02-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
NC_John

wow- that looks awesome. With that one pic you have completely changed my mind about the interior colors. Post more!

And yeah, UT gets hot. I've been across it and toured it on my Harley a few times. Great state. Incredible scenery....

EDIT: Sorry didn't mean to post twice- didn't know the first one made it through....
Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Thanks! No problem. Been there, done that with the interior debate.

I did the dash and dash pad first, so you can still see my dark blue steering column and door panel in this shot

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Lol. This is the seat cover my truck came with

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
sprint_9

Quote:
Thanks! No problem. Been there, done that with the interior debate.
Your interior looks great, awesome job.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #16
SS Tim

Quote:
That is a bunch of information there- take a look at the pic though- its a basic cloth seat, cloth on the seating surfaces, vinyl everywhere else. I have no reason to think its not the original or that its been recovered at any point (I actually pulled it out of the truck tonight)- I'm hoping my build sheet is in there somewhere.....

The Z62 code is correct for my truck but the seat is specifically listed as RPO 607 (Blue Custom Cloth Trim).

thanks for the info!
Well I am telling you, still, that is a replacement cover. It was installed sometime in the past 40 years. The cloth was often sold as pre-pleated bulk and it was pretty easy to sew up plain covers like this for customers cheaply. Many aftermarket suppliers offered similar covers over the years. The big giveaway is the fact the cloth goes to the edge of the seat. If you look at the factory picture I provided or this 71 Suburban interior attached you will see the cloth and vinyl mixture and the center vinyl panel with the debossed scroll work. You are correct in that Z62 is the RPO code for the Custom Comfort and Appearance equipment. This included a number of things like the bright trim and the cloth/vinyl seat cover. In addition it bumped the fender emblems from the base C/10 to Custom/10 in this case. The 607 is the production code for that specific Z62 type and color seat cover. The exterior color appears to be the 501 medium blue poly unless you have one of the two-tone combinations.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
slow-1

Quote:
Here in NC? With no AC?

You crazy man!
True dat!

I like the Camaro wheel, actually been looking for something like that for mine.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
NC_John

Quote:
Well I am telling you, still, that is a replacement cover. It was installed sometime in the past 40 years. The cloth was often sold as pre-pleated bulk and it was pretty easy to sew up plain covers like this for customers cheaply. Many aftermarket suppliers offered similar covers over the years. The big giveaway is the fact the cloth goes to the edge of the seat. If you look at the factory picture I provided or this 71 Suburban interior attached you will see the cloth and vinyl mixture and the center vinyl panel with the debossed scroll work. You are correct in that Z62 is the RPO code for the Custom Comfort and Appearance equipment. This included a number of things like the bright trim and the cloth/vinyl seat cover. In addition it bumped the fender emblems from the base C/10 to Custom/10 in this case. The 607 is the production code for that specific Z62 type and color seat cover. The exterior color appears to be the 501 medium blue poly unless you have one of the two-tone combinations.
10-4! If its not original then I guess I'm good to go for switching it black now! Thanks for the tutorial.

Any thoughts on where I can break down my protect-o plate codes?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
NC_John

Quote:
Thanks! No problem. Been there, done that with the

I did the dash and dash pad first, so you can still see my dark blue steering column and door panel in this shot
That looks completely awesome. You have inspired me to completely copy yours! What specific seat cover is that? Did you paint the dash between the pad and the windshield black or did your year come that way? Mine's blue but I guess I'll be painting it when I do the windshield.

That just looks great.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #20
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
That looks completely awesome. You have inspired me to completely copy yours! What specific seat cover is that? Did you paint the dash between the pad and the windshield black or did your year come that way? Mine's blue but I guess I'll be painting it when I do the windshield.

That just looks great.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man. I appreciate that. I got the seat cover from Brothers. It's their basic vinyl one. I painted the metal dash flat black. I have a thread on that if you search my old posts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #21
SS Tim

Quote:
...Did you paint the dash between the pad and the windshield black or did your year come that way? Mine's blue but I guess I'll be painting it when I do the windshield.
Typically the upper dash is painted a flattened shade of the interior/ So a flat black on the forward upper dash would be correct. Generally the upper dash is painted back to slots under the pad.

Quote:
... Any thoughts on where I can break down my protect-o plate codes?
To clarify do you mean the actual metal warranty Protect-O-Plate or the SPID label on the glovebox door listing the installed options?

SPIDs I am happy to help people recover or breakdown.

Plates are a case by case thing.

Did you find a build sheet? Generally they are found only in "Z" Fremont,CA built trucks.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #22
volksworld

hey is that the straight 6 truck that was on 152 near china grove?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #23
NC_John

Quote:
To clarify do you mean the actual metal warranty Protect-O-Plate or the SPID label on the glovebox door listing the installed options?

SPIDs I am happy to help people recover or breakdown.

Plates are a case by case thing.

Did you find a build sheet? Generally they are found only in "Z" Fremont,CA built trucks.
I have the actual protect-o-plate. I'll start a new thread.....

The SPID's (I assume what I refer to as the RPO's on the glovebox door) are pretty easy.

I guess with my truck being built in Baltimore and my seat being recovered already, the odds of finding a build sheet are about as high as hitting the powerball tonight (still buying a ticket though!)

thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksworld View Post
hey is that the straight 6 truck that was on 152 near china grove?
I found mine up in Advance....

I'm in Rockwell, where are you at?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
NC_John

Quote:
Thanks man. I appreciate that. I got the seat cover from Brothers. It's their basic vinyl one. I painted the metal dash flat black. I have a thread on that if you search my old posts.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll be looking for it and asking some more questions (like which steering wheel you have). I was going to redo my interior with the factory setup but just fell in love with yours. You have exceptional taste my good man.