The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
t5noel

Instrument cluster compatible?

Can anyone tell me if these instrument clusters are compatible with a 1974 GMC pickup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-87-CHEVY-...1c0bba&vxp=mtr
t5noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: Instrument cluster compatible?

Compatible? Yes. Plug and play? No.

You need to re-pin, add an oil pressure switch, swap out to an 89 speedo cable.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
t5noel

I have a gauge cluster now. Is re-pinning necessary when replacing it with a gauge cluster? On second thought is re-pinning necessary for changing over from ammeter to voltage meter?

Last edited by t5noel; 01-11-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Yes because the dash harness plug-in is different through the years.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5noel View Post
I have a gauge cluster now. Is re-pinning necessary when replacing it with a gauge cluster? On second thought is re-pinning necessary for changing over from ammeter to voltage meter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Yes because the dash harness plug-in is different through the years.
I agree!

Since your 74 is wired for a factory gauge cluster with an ammeter, only a 73 - 75 gauge cluster will be a direct plug-in swap.

A 76 or 77 gauge cluster (with a mechanical oil gauge & voltmeter) would be relatively easy to adapt ... you'd only have to change a couple wires to switch from an ammeter to the voltmeter. And in some cases a wire for the brake warning light.

More significant changes were made to the cluster plug pin-out when these clusters were changed over to electric oil pressure gauges.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
t5noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
I agree!

Since your 74 is wired for a factory gauge cluster with an ammeter, only a 73 - 75 gauge cluster will be a direct plug-in swap.

A 76 or 77 gauge cluster (with a mechanical oil gauge & voltmeter) would be relatively easy to adapt ... you'd only have to change a couple wires to switch from an ammeter to the voltmeter. And in some cases a wire for the brake warning light.

More significant changes were made to the cluster plug pin-out when these clusters were changed over to electric oil pressure gauges.
Would it be impossible though? The 81 - 87 clusters are readily available and reasonable in price.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:43 AM   #7
hatzie

You can do it.
You'll need the factory wiring manuals for the donor and the 1974. Look below... Patience along with a roll of masking tape and a sharpie to mark each wire before you remove it is a good idea.
These Cluster connector wiring pinouts are pretty good. BEWARE. There are a couple errors in colors.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456877
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #8
hatzie

One thing I failed to mention is the fact that the later clusters have electric oil pressure senders while your 74 has a Bourdon Tube oil pressure gauge with a copper line running through the firewall to the engine.
If you were moving from warning lamps to gauges you would already have an oil pressure sender wire. You have gauges so you'll have to route an oil pressure sender wire. You can likely utilize the open oil warning switch/lamp Circuit #31 spot in the bulkhead plug with Delphi Packard 56 male and female terminals on SXL wire. That spot should be unused on your gauge cluster truck. If you want to be "correct" about it use Dark Blue wire.
The 8900371 instrument cluster plug is obsolete and likely the terminals are as well. A terminal and wire pigtail will need to be salvaged from a 73-87 GM truck.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #9
t5noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
One thing I failed to mention is the fact that the later clusters have electric oil pressure senders while your 74 has a Bourdon Tube oil pressure gauge with a copper line running through the firewall to the engine.
If you were moving from warning lamps to gauges you would already have an oil pressure sender wire. You have gauges so you'll have to route an oil pressure sender wire. You can likely utilize the open oil warning switch/lamp Circuit #31 spot in the bulkhead plug with Delphi Packard 56 male and female terminals on SXL wire. That spot should be unused on your gauge cluster truck. If you want to be "correct" about it use Dark Blue wire.
The 8900371 instrument cluster plug is obsolete and likely the terminals are as well. A terminal and wire pigtail will need to be salvaged from a 73-87 GM truck.
I knew I had to upgrade to an oil pressure sender. I really appreciate the details. I ordered the cluster on ebay, so till it comes i'll do my homework and try to get the details in order. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
One thing I failed to mention is the fact that the later clusters have electric oil pressure senders ..... so you'll have to route an oil pressure sender wire.
Good call on the oil sender wire! And that reminds me ... another thing that will have to be changed to be compatible with a 79 or newer gauge cluster is the temperature sending unit.

I believe the GM #8993106 (1/2" NPT threads) is discontinued but last time I checked the #8993146 (3/8" NPT threads) was still available. I don't know if the aftermarket replacements for these units are close to the original specifications. Or if they have issues similar to the ones that have been discussed in other threads about the replacements for the #1513321 that was used with the 78 & older gauges.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
t5noel

I've examined the difference between the two. There will be two additional ground wires and one additional power wire. Can I splice the added ground wires from the one ground? I would assume the added fused power would have to come from the fuse box. There are two wires for the fuel sender. Is the second for dual tanks? Can it be left out if so?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf clusterConnector.pdf (22.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 01-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #12
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
I've examined the difference between the two. There will be two additional ground wires and one additional power wire. Can I splice the added ground wires from the one ground? I would assume the added fused power would have to come from the fuse box.
Yes, the additional ground wires can be spliced into the existing circuit #150 ground wire(s) already leading to the cluster plug.

The same goes for the additional ignition-switched fused power wire. That can be spliced into one of the existing circuit #39 power wire(s) already leading to the cluster.

Quote:
There are two wires for the fuel sender. Is the second for dual tanks? Can it be left out if so?
The two fuel sender wires allowed the factory gauge wiring to accept gauge clusters with or without the optional tachometer.

The fuel sender wire leading to cavity #18 is used for clusters with the large fuel gauge located to the right of the speedometer. I believe it's also used for medium-duty truck tach clusters with the small fuel gauge at the bottom of the tach.

The fuel sender wire leading to cavity #7 is only used for tachometer clusters that have the small fuel gauge down in the lower left corner.

So depending on the style of cluster you're installing, only one of the 2 wires for the fuel sender will actually be used. I suppose you could remove the extra one but leaving it in there won't hurt anything ... the unused one just dead-ends at the cluster plug since there is no mating trace on the printed circuit.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
t5noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Yes, the additional ground wires can be spliced into the existing circuit #150 ground wire(s) already leading to the cluster plug.

The same goes for the additional ignition-switched fused power wire. That can be spliced into one of the existing circuit #39 power wire(s) already leading to the cluster.

The two fuel sender wires allowed the factory gauge wiring to accept gauge clusters with or without the optional tachometer.

The fuel sender wire leading to cavity #18 is used for clusters with the large fuel gauge located to the right of the speedometer. I believe it's also used for medium-duty truck tach clusters with the small fuel gauge at the bottom of the tach.

The fuel sender wire leading to cavity #7 is only used for tachometer clusters that have the small fuel gauge down in the lower left corner.

So depending on the style of cluster you're installing, only one of the 2 wires for the fuel sender will actually be used. I suppose you could remove the extra one but leaving it in there won't hurt anything ... the unused one just dead-ends at the cluster plug since there is no mating trace on the printed circuit.
Great news! Thanks! Is there any trick to pulling the pins from the plug or is it pretty straight forward?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #14
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Is there any trick to pulling the pins from the plug or is it pretty straight forward?
The terminals have a little locking tang that holds them in place. Use a small flat blade screwdriver or terminal removal pick to depress the tang and then you'll be able to pull the terminal straight out through the wire-entry side of the connector. Bend the locking tang back up a little before re-inserting it into the new location.

Here's a photo that shows where to insert the removal pick ... my fancy tool is just a piece of old hacksaw blade with the end ground down narrow enough to fit the slot in the connector.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if these instrument clusters are compatible with a 1974 GMC pickup?
Hi Noel?

I am in the exact same boat [ahem] truck, also a '74 GMC looking for a Tach / small fuel gauge cluster, I have not seen any at the 4 local junkyards I frequent though, and eBay prices are redunculous, have you seen the guy asking $500 bucks for an OEM Tachometer yet?
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #16
t5noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Hi Noel?

I am in the exact same boat [ahem] truck, also a '74 GMC looking for a Tach / small fuel gauge cluster, I have not seen any at the 4 local junkyards I frequent though, and eBay prices are redunculous, have you seen the guy asking $500 bucks for an OEM Tachometer yet?
That's why I stuck with the ones readily available on ebay with the large fuel gauge on the right side.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #17
roundhouse

heres the wiring diagram I made when I swapped a 77 cluster to a 82 cluster
Attached Images

roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote